Confused about vic nomination process

ItchyFeet76

Hi there,

We have two options available for us:- (1) go to Aus on a 457 with a job offer; (2) wait an extra 6 months and apply for PR via the 190 with Victorian state sponsorship. I'm confused about the process involved for the latter. I've done lots of reading on both the Vic govt website and also the DIBP website, and they seem to contradict each other on certain levels. To this end, I thought I'd jot it down so it's clear in my head. I've extrapolated info. from both websites and have done most of it, but I get stuck after "lodge 190 visa appl." as the Vic website implies that you apply for nom. and THEN submit the EOI, and the DIBP website says that, after having SUBMITTED the EOI, you await state nomination (or apply yourself, dep. on the state).

Here's what I think happens (up to point of visa application):-

190 PROCESS:-

(1) Prepare docs (CV, Vic nom. declaration, skills assessment, IELTS results);

(2) Lodge nom. appl. online (http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au) - make sure you inc. dependants;

(3) Receive nomination notification email;

(4) Confirm acceptance of state nom. offer by registering EOI on SkillSelect, selecting Vic as preference and notifying Vic that you've done this. You have 4 mths to do this;

(5) Receive ITA from Vic (will happen automatically, subject to occupation ceilings);

(6) Lodge 190 visa appl. with DIBP. You have 60 days to do this.

NB - You can't change the info. in your EOI after this point;

(7) ????

I'm hoping there's someone out there who's been down the Vic SS route recently, and can guide me as to the exact process, incase we decide to do it ourselves.

Also, at what point do you actually submit all the necessary docs? And when do they ask you to submit the medicals / police checks? (I understand you can do these after EOI, before they send you, to save time, but you have to land within 12 months of doing do).

Lastly, if we did get Vic sponsorship and also a job offer before the visa came through, could we land in Oz and start the job whilst the PR appl. is being processed (e.g. with a bridging visa)? I did ask this question on my other thread (about which visa option we should go for) but unfortunately nobody thus far has been able to answer it... :-(

Thanks in advance!

I-F :-)

No idea but a permanent visa is better because then you can stay here, with the other visa if the work place closed, or reshuffled etc you would have a short time to find a new sponsor and the way things are in Victoria at present they may be thin on the ground. My friend's daughter is a lawyer for a large Bank and she has been looking around to move, and says that jobs are definitely thin on the ground and I think it may get worse with this government as most job losses are affecting Victoria at present. Having a permanent visa gives you more options, so just go to the immigration pages, and have a look and see what they want you to do. I know you have to be very accurate.

Hi Petals,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your honesty and am aware of the 90 days rule, which obviously concerns us to a certain extent (even with the recruitment agent's assertions that my oh's skills are sought-after) as it would still cost us money to live in Aus whilst looking for another job if the first one 'failed', but I've looked at the imm.gov.au site and it is jolly vague and I still can't ascertain exactly what needs to be done at what stage!

Thanks anyway though :-)

Hi I-F,

I'm interested in this too as Victoria state nomination seems to be different from the other states. Reading their website it seems you apply for state nomination first then your EOI. Hopefully someone who has done this recently will be along soon to clarify :)

Hi Missy,

Yes, that's what I read, too, but it's just that the DIBP website seems to contradict this by saying "When you have submitted your expression of interest, a state or territory government can examine it and decide whether to nominate you to apply for a visa."

Also, when you read a timeline for getting state sponsorship, is that the same as PR? Or is that the preliminary bit that allows you to gain extra points to apply for PR? E.g. state sponsorship takes around 3 months, but then you have to allow probably an extra 3 months (??) to actually get PR...?

Sorry - I seem to be answering each post with another question! :-/

State sponsorship is the preliminary bit that allows you to apply for PR and gives you extra points.

I'm wondering if all cases take up to 3 months for Victoria state sponsorship or does it depend on your occupation? What I mean is, are some occupations processed faster than others depending on their occupation ceilings?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Also confused ,any help please.

which order do we go in ? EOI then SSN or other way round

many thanks

I just applied for Vic SS - the process I followed was to first file an EOI and then apply Vic SS - The Vic SS form requires you to fill in an EOI number so that it can be linked

IELTS: 7.5 Jan 2014 | ACS +ve 3/Apr/2014 | EOI - 3/APR - VIC SS Application - 4/Apr/2014

Archived