Is an unlodged tax return an outstanding debt

franky

Hi all,

Just what it says. I'm applying for a student visa and am wondering whether I can rightfully claim to have no outstanding debts to the Australian government, as I haven't yet lodged my tax return from my Working Holiday year.

I contacted the ATO to ask whether I owed any tax, and they basically said that while they don't currently have any record of me owing them anything, they won't be able to know for sure until I lodge my return. So essentially it's not that I owe any tax, but that I don't know whether I owe any tax or not (and neither does the ATO).

I do plan on filing the return and obviously do not plan on evading any tax liability, but for many reasons, I'd prefer to take care of the tax return once I'm back on Australian soil. My question is whether this "no man's land" I'm in right now will pose an issue for DIAC in granting me a student visa? Can I rightfully answer "no" to the question of outstanding debts? Technically, I don't have any; I just wouldn't want them to get suspicious when they see an unlodged return and deny my visa.

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!

As to whether OP can rightfully answer "no" to the question of whether he owes an outstanding debt to the Australian government, I think OP should first try to determine whether he is likely to owe a debt to the Australian government when the tax return is done - this might require the advice of a tax consultant / accountant if OP is unsure. If OP comes to the conclusion that when the tax return is filed, he will not owe a debt, then I think that he can answer the question as "no" but I would recommend putting in a clarification of answer explaining that he has to file a tax return but that to the best of his knowledge and belief, when the tax return is filed, he will not owe a debt to the Australian government, and explain why he thinks he will not owe a debt (e.g. that only income was an employee and employer withheld tax). If OP thinks that following filing of tax return that he will likely have a debt to pay, then he should answer the question as "yes" and provide the clarification as to debt that he believes he will have when the tax return is filed,and how he intends to pay it.

If possible, I would suggest filing the tax return before the student visa application, so that the answer to this question is known, but if that is not possible, then I recommend the above approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived