189 Visa

mintpro

Hi All, I have a few questions with regard to the layout of the 189 visa if you don't mind answering. I am planning on doing the paperwork myself to save ALOT of money so you guys are my saving grace!

I have my IELTS test booked this Saturday (15th) and I know I need to get my qualifications assessed. From there I know I need to submit an EOI and then get invited for the visa application. I won't be applying until August as I can get more points from working but my questions are as follows;

1) I'm an engineer so getting my skills assessed by Engineers Australia. Has anyone been through this process before and can give me some information on it.

2) Is there a copy of the 189 visa form anywhere so I can have a look at what they need?

3) With the medical. Are there specific doctors who can only do it? Does my doctor send the information to immigration. Nowhere on the site when I was reading does it mention applicants uploading their results.

4) I plan on getting the police documents done in August to get as much stuff ready as possible plus I know these will take a few weeks to get from the countries I need. Is there an expiry date on them?

5) I am hopefully going to get sponsorship from my aunt who lives in Australia to help with further points and found her forms she needs to fill out but is there any others I am forgetting?

Since its an online application any other advice you want to share please do. Sorry about all the questions and thank you.

Can't help with the first question but here are answers to the others...

2) Go to http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx Select Visa applicants > Document checklist for details of what you'll need to provide with a visa application after you get an invitation to apply.

3) Medicals can only be done by 'Panel Physicians' and they know the exact procedure to be followed.

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/panel-doctors/ Panel physicians

4) Medicals and PCCs are only valid for 12 months. When you are granted a visa, it will have a Last Entry Date which is the last date on which you must enter Australia to validate your visa. If you fail to enter Australia by that date (you don't need to stay - just going through immigration is enough), you lose your visa. Your Last Entry date is usually 12 months from the date of your earliest medical or PCC. If you get medicals or PCCs too early, you may find that they must be done a second time or that you are in a mad panic to get to Australia to validate your visa in time.

5) Your aunt can't sponsor you for a 189. Relatives who live in designated regional areas (they can't live in Brisbane, Sydney, Newcastle, or Wollongong) can sponsor relative for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) but that is the only possibility. Also, I think there are only a limited number of family sponsored 489s available each year so they can take longer than other visas.

Hi, Thankyou for all that. I love this site for people with information. Sorry I should of said an option for my aunt to sponsor me for the 489. It depends on what score I get this weekend on the IELTS test.

Again thankyou for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, another question for someone! What is involved in either the 189 visa and the 489 application form. The one thing I don't like about the online system is there are no copies of the actual application forms you need to fill in to be more prepared. Does anyone know if there's a way to view them beforehand?

Archived