VETASSESS Points Test Advice

GeoSurfer

Hey there, new user here!

I'm applying for a 189 Skilled Independent visa under the Other Spatial Scientist position. I have a Bachelors degree in a study area relevant to this category, and 1.5 years employment experience in a highly relevant field. I therefore believe I will qualify for this position, as only a Bachelors degree and 1 years experience is needed, according to VETASSESS. My question is:

As I am only intending to have my qualifications taken into account for Points by DIBP, do I need the Points Test Advice from VETASSESS? It seems as though this is intended for people who want to verify work experience for additional points for the actual visa application.

If not, I think that I ought to be applying for the 'Full Skills Assessment (GSM with Points Test Advice) for both qualifications and employment - Australian or Overseas' option at $630? And not requesting the $80 for Points Test Advice on my employment?

Hope this makes sense!

If you wish only your qualifications to be assessed, you need to apply to Vetassess Points Test Advice , and pay 265 , or 285, I can`t remember exact amount.

Well I do want them to assess my employment for the purpose of this test. But I am not using my employment for Points in the visa application itself.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hey there, new user here!

I'm applying for a 189 Skilled Independent visa under the Other Spatial Scientist position. I have a Bachelors degree in a study area relevant to this category, and 1.5 years employment experience in a highly relevant field. I therefore believe I will qualify for this position, as only a Bachelors degree and 1 years experience is needed, according to VETASSESS. My question is:

As I am only intending to have my qualifications taken into account for Points by DIBP, do I need the Points Test Advice from VETASSESS? It seems as though this is intended for people who want to verify work experience for additional points for the actual visa application.

If not, I think that I ought to be applying for the 'Full Skills Assessment (GSM with Points Test Advice) for both qualifications and employment - Australian or Overseas' option at $630? And not requesting the $80 for Points Test Advice on my employment?

Hope this makes sense!

Hey GeoSurfer,

You seem extremely well informed so I'm assuming you're aware that you wouldn't be able to claim points for your work experience anyway due to the fact that it's less then 3 years. I wouldn't say the $80 is a MUST but still it's more of a benefit then a hindrance.

Points Test Advice is provided in addition to and not in place of the Skills Assessment. The advice is an opinion of:

. The comparative educational level of your qualifications against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)

. Your employment which has been undertaken in the nominated or closely related occupation in the 10 years before your application to VETASSESS.

Kind regards

Hey GeoSurfer,

You seem extremely well informed so I'm assuming you're aware that you wouldn't be able to claim points for your work experience anyway due to the fact that it's less then 3 years. I wouldn't say the $80 is a MUST but still it's more of a benefit then a hindrance.

Points Test Advice is provided in addition to and not in place of the Skills Assessment. The advice is an opinion of:

. The comparative educational level of your qualifications against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)

. Your employment which has been undertaken in the nominated or closely related occupation in the 10 years before your application to VETASSESS.

Kind regards

You're right - I don't intend to claim points for my employment, I just know I need to have it assessed with my degree for VETASSESS purposes. I don't really 'get' what the extra Points Advice is for. If I do not get it, what do I receive? A letter stating that I am positively assessed? In what situation would the letter be of benefit to me?

Hey GeoSurfer,

You seem extremely well informed...

It doesn't feel like it!

Cheers for the replies so far!

Hi Geosurfer,

What area is you degree in? I'm curious if you've yet to apply for jobs and what/if any replies you've gotten.

I work in the remote sensing / GIS industry.

I am in GIS and asset management. I haven't been applying yet in all honesty as I expect not having a visa sorted would make me unlikely to be considered. There are jobs available I could challenge for, it's not the richest pickings though. How are you progressing?

Hi there!

You do need a full skills assessment to apply for a visa as this is a requirement from the Department of Immigration. In addition, your points test advice letter will state what your qualification is equivalent to and how many years you have worked in the skilled occupation at the appropiate level in order to obtain points. They are two separate things: one says that you actually have the skills required but the other tells the Department how many points they should allocate for each area. This is the best way to claim the points so I would strongly recommend that you obtain it, the fee is small compared to the degree of certainty that it provides with your application...

Good luck!

Guest guest30085

You don't need the points advisory letter, especially if you are not claiming points for work experience. It is not mandatory to have it, and the DIPB make their own decision about your work experience claims if you claim for them. I didn't claim points for work experience and my case officer did not ask for any sort of proof of employment. Just apply for the skills assessment.

As is evident from the replies - it is not a universally agreed thing! I think I will just get the additional letter, it is a small cost in the grand scheme of things and I would be gutted if it was queried at any point.

I'm writing my work duties to be agreed with my manager. How much should I be writing for each responsibility ideally? I know this is a 'how long is a piece...' question but there is a big difference between writing a sentence and a paragraph when it is all added together. I think I will go for around 7 of my key duties as I would be waffling if I went further.

I am in GIS and asset management. I haven't been applying yet in all honesty as I expect not having a visa sorted would make me unlikely to be considered. There are jobs available I could challenge for, it's not the richest pickings though. How are you progressing?

I've had a few interviews of varying stages, but it seems the typical "you're not here" scenario. Ive been picky, but since November and the 457 changes it's really been dead for replies. I think they are weary of hiring anyone overseas, let alone a canadian like me, or just don't even want to bother with the trouble regardless.

I should have done the 189/190 a year ago, but live and learn. The GIS industry in Australia will grow considerably in the next few years, so it will definitely pay off. The North American market is booming in a way as well, but the cost of living here is roughly the same (housing is a bit more there) and the pay is 30% less. Not to mention it was -35c here the other day....

I have found that a majority of the GIS (including asset management) jobs are usually in Sydney, Brisbane and Perth.

• 7 months later...

I had already received positive assessment from Vetassess on 19sep 2014 . But to claim points, I need to apply for PTA (employment alone) for 10 years of experience.

Can anyone suggest, how much time it will take.

Also, Will they call to all my employment reference as they did for assessment.

• 1 month later...

Hi

i am applying for HR Adviser to Australia through Vetassess. when I fill online application, it asks for 'Points Test Advisory Letter for DIBP'. If I select option as "not required", it does not take and says you require to submit. I amm submitteing all proofs for Education and experience of 5 years.

I am also confused about it. Do I have to submit $80?

Archived