Aitsl assessment first or ielts test??

Guest Linda21

Guest Linda21

Was about to send aware my qualifications for my AITSL skills assessment, but having read that I should reach 60 points if I get a good mark sitting the IELTS test ( which I hadn't considered doing), should I now hold back and do the IELTS test first and send my results along with the skills assessment? Do you receive points from the skills assessment including the IELTS result or can you add them together separately?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Do you receive points from the skills assessment including the IELTS result or can you add them together separately?"

In order to get additional points on the points test and in order to get AITSL skills assessment, you must provide satisfactory evidence of your English skills. The points test and any AITSL requirements are two entirely separate things. They can't be 'added together' (whatever that means).

For AITSL skills assessment purposes, you don't need IELTS at all if you completed at least four full years of study in higher education (university) in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States of America resulting in award of qualification(s) comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher including a recognised initial teacher education qualification

HOWEVER

If you don't meet the 4 year study requirement as detailed above, you must have a single IELTS TRF showing scores in the Academic version of at least 7.0 for Reading and Writing and at least 8.0 for Speaking and Listening. If you DO meet the 4 year study requirement, there is no point in doing IELTS Academic for skills assessment purposes.

For points test purposes, you can do either the Academic or General test - many people find the General test to be easier than the Academic. Some people must do IELTS Academic for skills assessment purposes but barely scrape through to get 7 in Reading and Writing and 8 in Speaking and Listening. In that case, they submit those results to AITSL and then do the easier General test in the hope that they'll get at least all 8s for Superior English points for the points test.

Was about to send aware my qualifications for my AITSL skills assessment, but having read that I should reach 60 points if I get a good mark sitting the IELTS test ( which I hadn't considered doing), should I now hold back and do the IELTS test first and send my results along with the skills assessment? Do you receive points from the skills assessment including the IELTS result or can you add them together separately?

I applied to AITSL before I sat my IELTS test. I only sat my IELTS test as I was short 5 points.

Guest Linda21

Thanks everyone. Yes, to clarify I need to get Superior English to gain enough points overall as I do not have sufficient work experience. Just wasn't sure of the order in which to do them, but it's clearer now.

• 4 months later...

Hi Linda

Just wondering how long your AITSL assessment took to come through? I sent mine off a while ago and they say not to chase but there isn't a way to track its progress. My current visa expires soon and I was hoping to lodge my visa before that happens so that I would be granted a bridging visa but that seems unlikely now......

Any idea about timing would be really helpful. They say ten weeks but is it really that long?

cheers

Archived