Do all employer sponsored visa require a points test?

Guest Linda21

Guest Linda21

Hi everyone, as a newbie on this I'm still trying to find my feet. I have spoken to an agency which was helpful to a point but not for the region we would like to live in - basically I can go to Adelaide but not Perth! I'm trying to get an Employer Nominated Sponsor as I am an Early Years/Primary Teacher. However, I do not have sufficient work experience to gain enough points for a skilled visa because I'll be 44 this year. My husband on the other hand has 2 years experience as a driving instructor but not the higher level qualifications to gain enough points! As both our occupations are on the CSOL and Early Years Teacher is on the SOL and are all in demand on the WA gov website, does anyone know if you need points if you manage to secure employment? I know this is a long shot for us, but is worth a try. Is there any other visa apart from the 457 that would allow us to immigrate without sufficient points? I am waiting for a call back from another agent (probably won't be until at least Monday now but I'll be back at work) so any help/advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Please don't say all this info is on line, as I've been researching online until my head is spinning 360 and I feel so tied up in knots now!! Also, if anyone out there is a driving instructor from the UK, did you need to go through VETASSESS for qualifications??

Only Independent and state sponsored visas are points tested. No employer sponsored visas are points tested.

If a visa e.g. a state sponsored visa is points tested, you must score at least 60 points and that's that. The 60 points can include the 5 or 10 points you get for the state sponsorship but having found employment won't help in any way. You may however need to have found employment as a condition of being able to get state sponsorship.

If WA is sponsoring Early Years teachers, it could be possible for you to get to the required 60 points i.e. Age (40-44) - 15, Superior English - 20, Education - degree = 15, Regional State sponsorship (for a 489 visa) - 10 making a total of 60 points but you (and your husband) would have to live and work in a designated regional area for 2 years as a firm condition of your visa. You'll read that living and working in a sponsoring state is 'only' a moral obligation but the requirement to live and work in a designated regional area is completely inflexible.

Guest Linda21

Thanks Ozmaniac, that was really helpful. I really didn't think I could make the points without 3 years plus work experience. I'll look into this again.

To be nominated by WA in your profession you must Meet one of the following criteria:

□ currently working in Western Australia in nominated or closely

related occupation with evidence that employment will continue

for a further 12 months; or

□ have an offer of full-time employment for 12 months in Western

Australia in nominated or closely related occupation.

Hi everyone, as a newbie on this I'm still trying to find my feet. I have spoken to an agency which was helpful to a point but not for the region we would like to live in - basically I can go to Adelaide but not Perth! I'm trying to get an Employer Nominated Sponsor as I am an Early Years/Primary Teacher. However, I do not have sufficient work experience to gain enough points for a skilled visa because I'll be 44 this year. My husband on the other hand has 2 years experience as a driving instructor but not the higher level qualifications to gain enough points! As both our occupations are on the CSOL and Early Years Teacher is on the SOL and are all in demand on the WA gov website, does anyone know if you need points if you manage to secure employment? I know this is a long shot for us, but is worth a try. Is there any other visa apart from the 457 that would allow us to immigrate without sufficient points? I am waiting for a call back from another agent (probably won't be until at least Monday now but I'll be back at work) so any help/advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Please don't say all this info is on line, as I've been researching online until my head is spinning 360 and I feel so tied up in knots now!! Also, if anyone out there is a driving instructor from the UK, did you need to go through VETASSESS for qualifications??

I think employer sponsorship is not realistic in your occupations. Teachers are in abundance in Australia and to be honest you don't see many driving instructors here but I expect they are mainly self employed anyway?

If you want to go to Australia and think you can get to Adelaide on a state sponsorship, then I would not dismiss the option

ETA: just checked the South Australia list, they are sponsoring secondary and pre-primary teachers, but not primary. Would this work for you?

Archived