Handing keys back for rental

Hi,

I am trying to stop a friend of mine who is planning on leaving the country and handing the keys back for the rental through the agents letterbox!

they know they will lose there bond but they don't want to go through the hassle of it all etc........

they dont plan on coming back but what will happen to them and can they get into trouble or be tracked down?

thanks for any advice, which I will pass on as don't know how to help them so thought I would come on here!

Hi,

I am trying to stop a friend of mine who is planning on leaving the country and handing the keys back for the rental through the agents letterbox!

they know they will lose there bond but they don't want to go through the hassle of it all etc........

they dont plan on coming back but what will happen to them and can they get into trouble or be tracked down?

thanks for any advice, which I will pass on as don't know how to help them so thought I would come on here!

People don't normally consider getting their bond money back a hassle unless they're breaking the lease or have trashed the property. In either case tell your friend, the agent is likely to seek to recover their costs and those of re-letting, lost rent plus any other penalties they can add on. If your friend is leaving the country, the agent can huff and puff but probably cannot recover any money from overseas. But they can put your friends name on every blacklist and trash their credit file in Australia....

EDIT..I agree with the above post and have posted this at the same time before reading that, please forgive a repeat of the above...!!! end edit

The tenant is liable for the rent up to the end of the lease agreement of course, in this case if a new tenant is found before the agreed date then rent should be paid to cover the landlord's lost rent until the new tenant moves in and starts paying rent.

The landlord/agent can go to court quite easily and sue for the amount..!! This may not affect the EX PAT as they have left the country and may not return..!! But it is not a good thing

I think it would be best to tell the agent the truth and they can keep the bond ( usually equivalent to a month's rent ) then they can advertise for another tenant straight away and not chase for the missing rent,

IF, on the other hand, the tenant is on a monthly, ongoing agreement then the bond can count as the month's rent and the tenant can walk away.

Hope this helps. Cheers FNS

Archived