Removal companies??????

Hi,

We are immigrating to Australia in about 2 months. I am trying to get a feel for removal companies.

I thought I had settled on one but friends have just moved using the company in question and are having a nightmare of a time on the other side with the agents and unexpected costs. So I am back to square 1!

A few questions...

1) Does anyone know of any companies who have their own broker and use their own company both sides ie no agent on the other side? I've just spoken to Pickfords and they say they use Allied Pickfords that side. Anyone used them?

2) Can anyone give me a decisive list as to what the costs on that side will be? I know I can't get exact figures as that is determined by our personal effects etc. We are bringing household goods and a car.

Many thanks!

Guest The Pom Queen

You will find that the will be positive and negative stories for every removal company out there and because your friend had an issue doesn't mean that you will.

Try and get one that is registered with

B.A.R

I.M.M.I

F.I.D.I

F.A.I.M

this will give you the most protection. Also don't use their insurance company look at Insure Your Move

Hope this helps...

1) Does anyone know of any companies who have their own broker and use their own company both sides ie no agent on the other side? I've just spoken to Pickfords and they say they use Allied Pickfords that side. Anyone used them?

There are a couple of different ways companies handle overseas networks - some just use an overseas partner that they've got a trade relationship with (i.e. members of IAM), some will use standards based networks (like FIDI where everyone will work to the same standards but it will be a different branded and owned agent handling your origin and destination), some are single branded alliance networks (like UniGroup Relocation Network) where members jointly own a global brand, work to agreed service levels but are owned and operated locally) and then companies who own offices all over the world (this is quite rare). As the Pom Queen says look for a company who is themselves as a minimum a member of BAR overseas (giving you the IMMI advance payment guarantee) and FIDI FAIM certified to ensure they meet required standards for international moving but also make sure their overseas agent, whether own office or a partner, is also FIDI FAIM accredited or similar.

2) Can anyone give me a decisive list as to what the costs on that side will be? I know I can't get exact figures as that is determined by our personal effects etc. We are bringing household goods and a car.

Your door to door quote should include collection, transport, delivery and unloading. You may also be subject to duties (if any of your goods are not within the duty free exemptions, e.g. the car) and AQIS inspection fees and any subsequent treatments which is the quarantine inspection undertaken by customs and border authorities.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for Pickfords so may be biased but they are very good. For my move, I am using Britannia, who have given me a very competitive quote. When the lady came from Britannia, I raised various "worst case scenario" points with her, such as unexpected costs etc and she basically said, all that was extra on top of the quote were the AQIS fees and of course, insurance. Any problems and the English side take them up with the Aus side but basically there shouldn't be any.

Hi,

We are immigrating to Australia in about 2 months. I am trying to get a feel for removal companies.

I thought I had settled on one but friends have just moved using the company in question and are having a nightmare of a time on the other side with the agents and unexpected costs. So I am back to square 1!

A few questions...

Many thanks!

I've spoken with quite a few companies to get rough costs for both a 20ft & two 40ft containers (depending on whether we take just a few household items or that plus two large cars). Out of all, we have arranged for PSS International to come out and give us a quote. I was really impressed with their service so far, there are no additional fee's and they're competitively priced. They also offer a storage option once goods are in Oz (depending on location it can be a free period of storage) and if you do take your car/s they are the only company (that I've managed to find) that actually load your car at your house, straight into the container. As with most other companies, they offer a free quote, so it might be worth giving them a call.

We used John Mason and they use Wridgeways in Sydney (and think elsewhere in Australia). Our stuff gets delivered tomorrow, so will let you know if any problems! We paid Wridegways about $750 for the Customs Inspection Fee prior to inspection and we've not been notified of any additional fees and I am sure they wouldn't be delivering tomorrow if there were any other fees outstanding. I think as long as you following the guidelines re: cleaning stuff - JM's tip were to make sure shoes etc were immaculate, that way, they tend to think the rest of your stuff will be the same and wave it through! The guys shouldn't let you pack anything they don't think will clear the other end, so fees should be a minimum.