We arrive in Melbourne 2nd June 2014 ? Does anyone know of cheap but nice temp accommadation?

Smurfs14

LOL, Im not sure cheap and nice go together when the word 'Accommodation' is on offer ,especially if you chuck the dreaded word 'Furnished' in too,lol.

Sites like Takeabreak, Stayz, AirBnb all have furnished accommodation ideal for arrivals so you may get an idea of average prices from those. Another idea is to look at Cabin and Caravan Parks as these too are ideal as arrival/ short stay accommodation.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

We move 2014 2nd of June?? Is anyone else moving at this time we have an 8 year old son,does anybody know of any cheap but nice accommadation in Melbourne area?? Thanks xx

Can't help with accommodation, but we're returning to the UK in July and will be selling our cars if you're looking to pick one (or two) up that are cheap and reliable?

We move 2014 2nd of June?? Is anyone else moving at this time we have an 8 year old son,does anybody know of any cheap but nice accommadation in Melbourne area?? Thanks xx

Our accommodation will not be big enough for you, but forum member "Furkew" has furnished accommodation that will suit you.

BB

Our accommodation will not be big enough for you, but forum member "Furkew" has furnished accommodation that will suit you.

BB

Thanks for that BB, and I would have sent the OP a PM, but unfortunately our accommodation is booked from the 15th June for 2 weeks, so would only have a week available.

I know a lovely place in Berwick, 3 bedrooms, it's actually in Harkaway, just outside Berwick in the Far Eastern Suburbs, bit over an hour from Melbourne. It's furnished and reasonably priced, I could dig out the details if your interested. We stayed there when we first came over and went back for a weekend in 2012.

I know a lovely place in Berwick...bit over an hour from Melbourne.

Sorry to hijack the thread but Google Maps says Berwick is 37 mins from Melbourne (not sure whereabouts in Melbourne it assumes I want to get to - bang in the middle of the CBD, maybe?!), yet you said it takes almost twice that long, so now I'm wondering if I should just double whatever time Google Maps gives??! It's concerned me only because I've pinpointed some places to live (if we ever get over there!) which are within a 45-min commute, so now I'm worried they're actually 1.5 hours away!

Cheers, and sorry again for hijacking the thread :notworthy:

Sorry to hijack the thread but Google Maps says Berwick is 37 mins from Melbourne (not sure whereabouts in Melbourne it assumes I want to get to - bang in the middle of the CBD, maybe?!), yet you said it takes almost twice that long, so now I'm wondering if I should just double whatever time Google Maps gives??! It's concerned me only because I've pinpointed some places to live (if we ever get over there!) which are within a 45-min commute, so now I'm worried they're actually 1.5 hours away!

37 mins with no traffic. In rush hour a lot longer.

BB

Absolutely, try it in rush hour or by public transport. You'd be doing well to keep it down to an hour...

Guest The Pom Queen
Hmmm that's what I thought. Hopefully OH will be able to work from home quite a bit (if he gets a company transfer, anyway).

I use to do this journey every day. If you leave around 6am then you can do it in 40 minutes. When I left to come home at 3pm it use to take just under 2 hours. The train is an hour.

HI..WE USED THIS COMPANY A COUPLE OF TIMES FOR 3 WEEKS AND AGAIN FOR 2 WEEKS..............AUSTRALIANHOMEAWAY, WORTH CHECKING OUT

http://australianhomeaway.com.au/ cheers, FNS

Hi FNS, thanks for that link. Unfortunately it wouldn't suit us as it either has properties in the wrong area but right no. of bedrooms, or right area and wrong no. of bedrooms, or no availability for when we think we might be coming over :-(

We want to stay in the CBD as we're not hiring a car (except for weekends viewing properties - assuming we can't get there on public transport) and plan to rely on the trams, etc. We'll need a 2 bed that sleeps 5 (or a cheap 3 bed) and have budgeted an absolute max. of $5k for 6 weeks. Does this sound reasonable...?

Thanks in advance, I-F

Hi FNS, thanks for that link. Unfortunately it wouldn't suit us as it either has properties in the wrong area but right no. of bedrooms, or right area and wrong no. of bedrooms, or no availability for when we think we might be coming over :-(

We want to stay in the CBD as we're not hiring a car (except for weekends viewing properties - assuming we can't get there on public transport) and plan to rely on the trams, etc. We'll need a 2 bed that sleeps 5 (or a cheap 3 bed) and have budgeted an absolute max. of $5k for 6 weeks. Does this sound reasonable...?

Thanks in advance, I-F

How much is cheap?

You'll be looking at $1000+ a week for a furnished 2 bed short term let in the CBD I reckon

Thanks in advance, I-F

Living in CBD will be expensive,

an option is to look at places slightly outside cbd (South/easterly) and save your self rent which will pay for the car....The train system (metlink) is great and if you live near to a station you will be in touch with CBD

imagine you are moving to London , would you stay in Knightsbridge, Mayfair , etc, prob not, you would think of the outer area.

Good luck anyway, FNS

...an option is to look at places slightly outside cbd (South/easterly) and save your self rent which will pay for the car....

Thanks FNS, yes we actually have two budgets (!) - one for living in the CBD and using trams / bike / walking to get to work (paying an extra $200 per week in rent), the other for living in the 'burbs and having a car, but unfortunately the places we like don't have a station OR school within walking distance, so I'd have to drop oh at station and then use the car to do the school run. We quite liked the idea of inner-city living as we've never done it before and have always lived in a town. I'm a little concerned about the crime rate and the kids, though. Not sure if inner-city schools are that good... So I'm assuming we'll end up in one of the suburbs... The downside is that we can't afford to buy a car (we're trying to save up £15k as it is - to actually make the move - and another £5k will delay our move by at least 6 months), so will have to save up for a year or so and rely on public transport until we can afford to buy something. So we need somewhere within walking distance of a station (or a short, reliable bus-ride away!).

Sorry for going a bit off-topic!

I-F :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Try north Melbourne serviced apartments. We stayed here for a week before we left Melbourne to come home last year. Spent ages trying to find decent affordable place in CBD and found this to be best. There is nothing really cheap in Melbourne.

tram stops outside the apartment block, can walk to Bourke Street in 5 mins. Airport side of city so taxis bit cheaper! The guy who managed the apartments was extremely helpful and friendly.

Archived