189 Visa Payment and Other Questions

Hi All,

My wife and I and 11 year old son have decided to make the move. I'm 49 so we need to get a move on.

Anyway, I've started the process of applying for a 189 visa (whilst still looking for sponsorship) and I have a few questions.

I'm submitting the application for a skills shortage - 'IT Systems Analyst' and need the usual checks etc.

I notice that the cost of the visa is around £2,800 in total - would anyone know when this has to be paid?

Also, what's the usual timescale from submission to award - I have heard that it's around 12 months?

Many thanks

Welcome to PIO

Your visa application charge will be around £3800.

Are you the main applicant?? Do you pass the points test?

Timescales can vary from person to person - but 189 should receive a CO within 10 weeks of lodging application, so count take a few weeks- to a couple of months before get visa granted.

Hi All,

My wife and I and 11 year old son have decided to make the move. I'm 49 so we need to get a move on.

Anyway, I've started the process of applying for a 189 visa (whilst still looking for sponsorship) and I have a few questions.

I'm submitting the application for a skills shortage - 'IT Systems Analyst' and need the usual checks etc.

I notice that the cost of the visa is around £2,800 in total - would anyone know when this has to be paid?

Also, what's the usual timescale from submission to award - I have heard that it's around 12 months?

Many thanks

You pay when you apply. So in summary: Send in expression of interest, get invite, apply and pay.

As lebourvellec mentioned above, the first step should be checking your eligibility. It's not very common for 49 year old applicants to be able to meet the benchmark points total for a 189 visa. Even under the assumption you have a bachelor degree qualification, 8 years+ relevant experience and ace your IELTS test, you're still looking for an extra 10 points from somewhere else. Worth checking this first before putting the time and effort into the other aspects.

All the best,

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response and yes, I just learned this about the near impossibility of getting to 60 points for a 49 year old. So, it looks like the only option for Oz looks to be sponsorship by an employer. It seems crazy that they have raised the age limit from 44 to 49 but don't award any points at all for age in this bracket - even 10 would do. Pretty short-sighted when people often work well past the age of 60 nowadays.

NZ looks like a much better option visa-wise.

Best Wishes

Dave

As lebourvellec mentioned above, the first step should be checking your eligibility. It's not very common for 49 year old applicants to be able to meet the benchmark points total for a 189 visa. Even under the assumption you have a bachelor degree qualification, 8 years+ relevant experience and ace your IELTS test, you're still looking for an extra 10 points from somewhere else. Worth checking this first before putting the time and effort into the other aspects.

All the best,

Thanks for the replies everyone and good luck to those applying. Looks like sponsorship is our only option for Oz otherwise, NZ.

There is still a 49 year age limit for PR employer sponsored Visas.

The only other option is 457 visa which is a temporary visas, but there is limited options for this to be made PR by employer sponsored after 4 years working for same employer.

Archived