Tax query - what if i work for my UK employer from home in oz?

Jlew

Working through various options for work when we move. One option is to potentially continue to work for my current employer for a period of time effectively from our new home in Melbourne. The question is really around the tax implications. If the company continued to pay me as normal as if i was in the UK, and i then take care of the money transfer on a monthly basis from the UK to Australia, what would the associated tax implications be? Would i pay tax on the salary in the UK, and then just transfer it across, receive the salary gross in the UK and then pay tax in Australia following transfer, pay tax in both countries (hopefully not!) or something else? I'm sure someone must have done this so just looking for some thoughts / advice please.

:smile:

Working through various options for work when we move. One option is to potentially continue to work for my current employer for a period of time effectively from our new home in Melbourne. The question is really around the tax implications. If the company continued to pay me as normal as if i was in the UK, and i then take care of the money transfer on a monthly basis from the UK to Australia, what would the associated tax implications be? Would i pay tax on the salary in the UK, and then just transfer it across, receive the salary gross in the UK and then pay tax in Australia following transfer, pay tax in both countries (hopefully not!) or something else? I'm sure someone must have done this so just looking for some thoughts / advice please.

:smile:

I unfortunately cannot help with your questions but I am keen to know the answers too. I have been offered the opportunity to do some consultancy and project work when we first arrive which would be great to tide me over whilst getting a new job.

Archived