cost of weekly shop

Dreamy Fish

How much a food shop costs depends on a couple of things:

Would you shop around or do all shopping in one store?

Must you have the brands or are you happy to try own brand where it is more expensive?

So far (7 days in) we've been to woolworths, coles, local food market and butchers and find that the bigger supermarkets are generally more expensive than the UK, however the local food markets and butchers can be cheaper or equivalent to the UK. I've read forum posts which have over-exaggerated how much more expensive it is, and I can only assume someone did all of their shop in the one store and went exclusively for brands. Some items like breakfast cereals, eggs, bread are more expensive but even then if you're willing to switch brands it's really not that bad.

I listed a few things we bought during our first week in sydney in this thread: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/reccie-arrival-reports/203744-4-days-after-touching-down-sydney-first-ongoing-impressions.html

Utilities - electric looks a bit more expensive, gas I can't fathom.

Fuel - $1.50/L so approx half of what you pay in the UK

Where are you moving to?

We save around 30-40% since we swapped to Aldi from Woolworths and Coles. The quality is generally great too (on dry and frozen goods at least).

We spend around $80-$100 a week (family of 4) at Aldi, plus around $30 at the fruit and veg market. We also do monthly or so shops at the butchers - I'd be guessing at around $20 a month.

Our electricity is always going up. We have no pool and rarely use the air-con and ours comes in at around $550 a quarter (Queensland) but I know several people with pools etc and it comes in lower.

The things I am finding expensive:

Driving Licence - 5 years $166 (plus same to renew every 5 years) NSW.

Contents Insurance - quote for over $300

Car Insurance - $530

Car Green slip - over $200

Transferring a car into your name - $330 (depends on cost of car - this was based on $10,000 car)

Rent - $850pw (Sydney 3 bed house)

Home Phone & Broadband - About $90 per month (this is Optus for 200gb data)

Groceries are more, but not crazy if shop around. Fruit / veg seem expensive - mainly because they are Aussie and not imported - one avocado is over $3 at Coles! Clothes etc are fine if you buy Target, K Mart, Big W, Lowes etc. There are bargains to be had, but on the whole it seems more pricey here - we need to settle yet and get into the swing of things before I can comment more...

Damn phone, last post didn't take.

Would anybody please be able to let me know the cost of a general weekly grocery shop for a family of 5 (three kids 8, 3 and 1). Including the cleaning stuff but not worried about baby groceries as hoping the littlest will be well on her way to using the bathroom by the time we get out there!

I am going to have a hunt around and look at mortgages, utilities and fuel costs but if anyone has links or websites that'd be great :-)

x

You can go on woolworths or coles online and do a 'shop' to give you an idea of costs, although like everywhere, i'm sure when you get to know an area you find out where to go to get the best deals!

Hiya

We are looking at moving to Melbourne, well, one of the suburbs anyway! I'm quite lazy and not shopper savvy at all so I tend to stick with one supermarket for convenience. Although I've started using Riverford for fruit and veg in a bid to stop myself nipping out for potatoes and coming back with cakes, biscuits, chocolate and the latest Cosmo :-p

I was going to do a "shop" but wasn't sure if I needed to register first.

Just got an electric bill for something like £700 so thinking Australia can't be too scary cost wise! Mind you we are currently running an electric car, but still!

The things I am finding expensive:

Driving Licence - 5 years $166 (plus same to renew every 5 years) NSW.

Contents Insurance - quote for over $300

Car Insurance - $530

Car Green slip - over $200

Transferring a car into your name - $330 (depends on cost of car - this was based on $10,000 car)

Rent - $850pw (Sydney 3 bed house)

Home Phone & Broadband - About $90 per month (this is Optus for 200gb data)

Groceries are more, but not crazy if shop around. Fruit / veg seem expensive - mainly because they are Aussie and not imported - one avocado is over $3 at Coles! Clothes etc are fine if you buy Target, K Mart, Big W, Lowes etc. There are bargains to be had, but on the whole it seems more pricey here - we need to settle yet and get into the swing of things before I can comment more...

The costs of car ownership on the face of it seem higher, but if you take fuel costs into account and less depreciation it seems like swings and roundabouts? in which case 'expensive' is probably true for the UK if you find it expensive in oz.

Archived