tax returns

sparrow9999

hi all i arrived in Australia last march and have only worked for three months my question is do i need to do a tax return

is there a certain amount you have to earn before you need to put one in

and can i do the return before the end of the year as i will be going back to UK beginning of April

any advice would be good thanks

Guest guest41161
hi all i arrived in Australia last march and have only worked for three months my question is do i need to do a tax return

is there a certain amount you have to earn before you need to put one in

and can i do the return before the end of the year as i will be going back to UK beginning of April

any advice would be good thanks

I believe you do, and you would be silly not to. For those few months you will have been taxed as if you had been employed for the year and will probably be under the threshold and due it all back. I worked 5 months of 2012-2013 year and got substantial amount back. (000s)

You definitely need to do one - one up to end of June 2013 , and then you'll need to do another for 2013/14. If you're staying until October (& assuming you work) you'll need to do one up to the end of June 2015.

If you are on a temporary visa and have property in the UK it is probably worth getting an accountant to help you maximise your tax rebate.

Archived