How long does the applying for residency take?

mel73

Hi all, I got granted my visa (provisional 489) in August, but I've a mountain to climb financially before move. I think you can apply for residency after 2 years. Is that correct? This would allow me roughly another year for that process. Do I have to move sooner than June? I'm going to be renting my house out here so that would give me enough time to make it rentable! Can anyone shed some light on this for me! Thanks!

Hi all, I got granted my visa (provisional 489) in August, but I've a mountain to climb financially before move. I think you can apply for residency after 2 years. Is that correct? This would allow me roughly another year for that process. Do I have to move sooner than June? I'm going to be renting my house out here so that would give me enough time to make it rentable! Can anyone shed some light on this for me! Thanks!

You can't simply apply for residency because you've had a 489 for 2 years. You get residency when you've met the conditions for a permanent visa and from a 489, that means that you must have lived for at least two years and worked full time for 12 months in a specified regional area of Australia.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/887.aspx 887 visa

If I understand what you've written, your visa was granted in August 2013 so you have until August 2017 to meet those conditions - you would need to be back in Australia by August 2015 and living in a regional area. You would then have two years in which to meet the 12 months of full time work requirement.

Archived