Moving to Shellharbour Area

Stanko4ofus

Although I've been a member for nearly a year now, this is the first post I've put up. A bit of background ... my husband who is Australian, and our two girls 19 months and 3 and a half, emigrated to Oz last August. My o/h is originally from from the Melbourne area so we decided to settle down there to be near some of his family (the rest live in NSW). As o/h works fly in fly out of Queensland (middle of nowhere) we need to live within a reasonable distance of a major city airport. After initially wanting to liver near to the city, we were persuaded to settle in Gisborne which is around 40 mins from the city and quite a rural small town (although perfect commute to the airport). Almost immediately, we knew we had made a mistake. Although a lovely town, it is very quiet with little to do in the town or surrounding areas (other than parks). We find ourselves having to drive to the coast or Melbourne for things to do. We also haven't had the support we thought we would have coming to the area so finding it very difficult to settle due to limited opportunities to meet people. Having a good social network is really important to me particularly when my o/h is away at work. That coupled with the very unpredictable Victorian weather, we have decided to move to NSW.

Again, we need to be near Sydney airport but don't want to live in the city, although we do have friends there. We did a reccy to the Wollongong / Illawarra area at Christmas and fell in love with the areas south of Wollongong, in particular Shellharbour and the immediate area. Very picturesque but each town flows into each other so a lot more to do all the way up and down the coast. We are a very sociable, outdoorsy kind of family so the area lends itself more to the types of things we are interested in. I will be returning to work in the fitness industry and the area is ideal for outdoor exercise. Plus, coming from the Wirral in England, I very much want to get back to a coastal location and due to how green the area is, it reminds me a bit of home, just different! We are aware the area gets busy during peak season and holidays but we're used to that from home.

We do have one concern and that is crime. We keep hearing from various passers by that crime is a problem in the area but I must say that I have struggled to find any real information outside of Wollongong and wondered if anyone could give me an insight given that we don't plan on living in Wollongong itself. Plus every city area has crime so is it something that is a real problem or the norm that all city suburbs deal with? Secondly, my children currently attend day care a couple of days per week with my eldest starting the kinder programme at the end of the month and due to start school next year. Are there plenty of facilities available in the areas mentioned or am I likely to struggle to get a place? What are the primary schools like? Are there playgroups / toddler groups in the area too?

Finally, we need to get short term accommodation for a few weeks whilst we find a rental so any recommendations for a holiday let for a month or the like would be great.

Any information on this would be good plus would be lovely to hear from any other families living in the area with their perspective on things.

Many thanks

Rachel, Justin, Sienna and Maddie :biggrin:

The area is less affluent than other parts of the Illawarra so does have higher levels of petty crime. Having said that though it isn't a huge problem and most people living there have probably never experienced any problems.

Did you go as far south as Kiama? It is lovely and has a better reputation among long time locals. Drive times to Sydney airport would be almost the same as the Shellharbour area. You would be looking at around 90mins or longer in peak times.

I know you said you preferred south of Wollongong but I wonder where you came down over the escarpment and if you saw Austinmer, Thirroul, Bulli etc at the most northern end of Wollongong. I grew up in this area and still have family there. Although I am biased as I still think of the area as home it is more affluent and in my view much nicer than Shellharbour.

Although a lot of migrants do live in the Shellharbour Council area so perhaps there is something there that attracts them to the area that doesn't attract me - cheaper housing and more bulk billing doctors perhaps? Drive times to the airport from Thirroul/Austinmer are just under an hour.

When it's all said and done I think whichever bit you end up moving to will be OK. The Illawarra is beautiful and a wonderful place to grow up. It also boasts some of the best and safest surfing beaches on the east coast.

There is an old thread on here somewhere that concentrates on the Illawarra. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Thanks for the response. We did very much like the areas north of Wollongong and spent a bit of time there but unfortunately very few rentals appear in the area for the size we need for under £750 per week which is a little too much and unless I build a very successful fitness business, property prices are pretty steep when we come to buy. We have looked at Kiama and spent a day there and it is a lovely place but we need to understand train times from there as my o/h will be catching the train around 4am to the airport when he travels. I also need to ensure it is viable to run a fitness business from there without the need to travel all the way to Wollongong a lot. Shellharbour cuts a bit of travelling time off, although as you say, not much. I have to say, some really nice rentals in our price range our coming up there so when we come up, I'm sure we'll explore this more.

Good to know crime isn't that much of a problem. I just can't wait to get up there and start enjoying the area.

I'll have a look at the thread.

Exciting times. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rachel and Justin, We have lived in Shellharbour very happily for the past 7 years, originally coming from Great Yarmouth in the UK, so like you from a coastal town too.

From what you say about your interests/jobs/children, i'm pretty sure you'd find the area most accommodating. I have a 4 year old boy and a 16 month old girl. My boy will be starting kindy and my daughter starting preschool next year also. I know from recent research there are several preschools/day care facilities that have vacancies and there are quite a few to choose from in the area. The Illawarra link to the above thread was actually started by a friend of mine,we became good friends via poms in Oz and are still in touch today! We personally love the area as we are outdoorsy, beachy type people too. There are plenty of parks and playgroups in the area for the children and there is a fab service called Park and Play, which is run by Shellharbour council, they rock up in their minibus to a park, a different park each day, but the same each week if you know what i mean, for a term and they have toys and books and set up painting or some kind of craft for the kids to do. The ladies (all trained) are very friendly, its outside in the lovely weather and its all free. There are lots of other lovely places to explore from Shellharbour like North Gong area; Thirroul, Bulli, Austinmer etc and to the South, Kiama, Gerringong, Berry, Nowra (more inland) and the most pristine beaches at Jervis bay. We also have the beautiful Southern Highlands with waterfalls and bushwalks a scenic 40 ish minute drive away. You'd never be short of an adventure or two at the weekends! We personally and thankfully have never experienced any kind of crime while living here, although like you say it is everywhere anyway. Train to Sydney is 90mins to 2 hours, its actually quicker to drive, 90 mins to the airport not because of the distance but the amount of train stops along the way is pretty frustrating!! Here is the link to City Rail South Coast Line to/from Sydney.

http://www.sydneytrains.info/timetables/timetables_by_line.htm?line=sc&dir=2#landingPoint

The area doesn't really get the extremes of weather the rest of the county does, winter temps are usually no lower than 10 deg C and summer usually high 20's to high 30's with the odd 40 deg + day.

Having not long built our own house weve been out of the rental market for a while and i'm sure you'd be aware of realestate.com, to check out the current prices, but pre-Shell Cove marina go ahead, the prices were pretty average. The local shopping centre has just had a major renovation and updating, with some of the bigger Sydney stores now in this area and as mentioned the area is undergoing a multi-million Marina project in the Shell Cove/Shellharbour South beach area. Its and up and coming area. With regard to your fitness business, I know of one other business doing outdoor group fitness sesssions, as I only phoned them to enquire last week, so I'd be up for joining you for a run!!

Hope this helps and good luck. Feel free to PM me if you would like any more info.

• 2 months later...

hi there,

I have only just joined this evening (don't ask me why we fly in 3 months!) we are moving to kiama/shellharbour/Nowra area not 100% decided until we get there, but I really wanted some info on primary schools? My children will be 6 & 7 so will be at school together and there doesn't seem a huge choice? Also we are struggling to find short term accommodation for when we arrive for say 5-6 weeks? Any advice would be great :rolleyes:

Hi pink butterfly, I can't give advice on schools but can help you other ways, we live in shellcove and it's a really nice area very quiet and family orientated, kiama is beautiful and also a great place to live. I have been to nowra on a fair few occasions and my personal opinion is that it's not the prettiest area to live but saying that you are on the doorstep of the beautiful Jarvis bay so that has it's advantages. Accommodation wise my friend moved to the illawarra and stayed at windang holiday park until her and her family secured a rental property. Hope this helps a little. Good luck with the move

Thank you for the advice, I think the reason it's proving difficult to secure a short term let is because it is the school 2 week break ? I think shell harbour/ cove is where our hearts set but can't secure a long term rental from the UK as no agents seem to reply and there's some great properties online right now. Good to know there's people from the UK settled in the area :)

• 4 months later...

Hi we lived in Rural QLD for the last 18 months and recently moved to shellharbour, we really like it here, deffo keen to make new friends as all ours are in QLD, so anyone keen for a drink, with me and my partner get In touch pls. We are 30 yrs of age and both professionals, keen to meet new people in the area.

Archived