Moving to Oz, Pom with Australian hubby in tow.......

amyjane

Hi,

me and my Australian hubby got married december last year, and he"s pretty eager to go home to the sunshine...... Just a few questions about visa applications for myself really!!

Could i go on a WHV? (I'm 29) And lodge the partner visa when we get there?

Or is it better to just lodge the application in the uk?

Or could i go withouta visa at all and start the process as soon as we land?

Which visa would be best as its all so confusing..........:huh:

Please help.........MAny Thanks xx

What he said :)

Off shore partner visa applications are currently running at about 8-9 months from lodging. It can take a few weeks to a few months to sort out and compile your supporting evidence, official paperwork and so on for an application. Medical and police checks are generally undertaken at around the 3 month mark after applying.

A WHV is usually gained within a few days, sometimes a week. Be aware you should have funds to support yourself and means to show this when you arrive in Aus as they can and do check on arrival.

You can lodge an onshore application but your bridging visa will only kick in once your WHV visa runs out. So you'd not really be able to lodge till your year WHV is coming to an end. Also on a WHV you are limited to how long you can work for an employer and so on.

Personally, if you can wait I'd lodge off shore as its cheaper and quicker than an onhsore. However if you want to be in Aus asap then a WHV is an option but again, ensure you have funds.

Have you been to Aus before? I ask as just in case you don't settle or don't want to remain living there (this is both you and your hubby) then returning to the UK can be difficult if you need to apply for a partner visa as there is now a minimum financial requirement to be met etc by the sponsor now before a visa will be granted. I'd suggest researching this carefully before you go anywhere so you both fully understand the implications of this should you wish to return to the UK to live.

You will need at least a tourist visa to enter Australia. People can and do apply for a partner visa onshore off the back of a tourist visa (so long as it doesn't come with a NFS condition). Current wait time onshore is about 13 months and it costs more.

You would still need to compile all your evidence etc for this but should not take this with you in your luggage or anything. If you go on holiday and decide to stay, have it sent over to you by courier when you wish to apply.

I'd go read up on the partner visa application, download and print off the partner application booklet and both of you look through the forms etc and see what you think best suits your needs.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/family-visas-partner.htm

We were thinking maybe June time, my hubby is a carpenter so he earns much more money back in oz and have friends to stay with when we land until we get on our feet! I am a beauty therapist so hoping to do that in Oz, thanks for your help ?

You can come on an eVisitor or a WHV and then apply onshore for a Partner visa.

I personally think a WHV would be the better approach as you would be able to work as soon as you can find a job. If you come on an eVisitor, your Bridging visa will only take effect when it expires so you wouldn't be able to work for at least your first 3 months in Australia whereas on a WHV, you could work from day 1.

If you come on a WHV, apply for a Partner visa and find a long term job, it's possible to apply for a waiver of the 6 month per employer condition but you must have actually lodged the PV application before you can apply for a waiver.

It seems to me that the only real downside of an onshore application is the additional cost. If you want to come by June 2014, it's really your only option as it's most unlikely you would get an offshore Partner visa by then.

Apply for the offshore visa and be done with it I reckon. Also, though from your future security point of view - if he can get UK citizenship before you leave then get it! If you decide that Aus doesn't float your boat and he is prepared to support you and move back at some stage it is nigh on impossible to get a UK spouse visa these days unless you are well minted!

Personally I would avoid moving back to "his" place - try somewhere new for the pair of you so it's your little family unit working towards making new friends and connections. Going back to "his" place where he already has it all can be tricky and if you have nothing of your own, with the best will in the world, resentment can bubble.

Good luck!

We were thinking maybe June time, my hubby is a carpenter so he earns much more money back in oz and have friends to stay with when we land until we get on our feet! I am a beauty therapist so hoping to do that in Oz, thanks for your help 

if you want to move that quick then maybe look at the onshore options.

Archived