For those on PMVs applying for 820/801, help?

littlekitty

Hi guys,

(Worried rant below....)

My hubby's PMV is coming to an end (very quickly!) - it will expire on the 1st Feb 2014. We were married end of November 2013 so we have been waiting til after that to get all the rest of our evidence together. I think we have a pretty strong application and quite a large amount of evidence, I'm not worried about that. When we travelled around the US for our honeymoon my man carried his UK Police Certificate just in case as he has a juvenile offence. On our return to Aus we seem to have lost it... ergh! Anyway, we are putting in an out-of-date UK and out-of-date Aus police Check - we've got conflicting info on if we need to put them in at all - so we think the old ones are better than none. I think its best if we just go ahead an apply for new ones this week... and send them in to Immi after we apply if we get them late...

I have some questions:

-Do you think willingly putting in old police checks will make the application invalid? I'm having a horrible thought that they will flick through the docs and say "we cannot accept this application as it is incomplete".. this is probably irrational, but because we are close to the end of the PMV I am worried....

-Do we need to include a Form 80? One Immi checklist I found says yes, at the top of Form 80 I have at home says 'fill this form out if requested'...?

-We think we will be able to hand in the application on the 20th Jan (waiting on some statements and stat decs from people), do you think 10 days to process will be cutting it too fine? (Theres a public holiday within those 10 days too... Oh and we dont want to do the online application..)

-Can you tell me how many days you had before the end of your PMV when you applied and when you got notice of the bridging visa? (And then even when you got notice of the 820)

I'm not stressed in any way about the time it takes to get the actual 820/801 (well, you know, it would be nice if it was quick)... I'm just worried (knowing our luck) that he wont get his bridging visa in time for the 1st of Feb! I think these irrational fears come from the PMV processing where I was half expecting to be rejected (there is no reason for this apart from my neurotic personality.....).

In essence I just want to continue living life with my hubby and to not be stressing about him being out/in Aus!

First off - don't sweat it. As long as you get the application in before the PMV expires, you're fine. It's not about strong and weak applications - if you got the PMV and got married and you are genuinely a couple, you are entitled to the visa. The only reason you would fail is if DIAC could prove you were a fraudulent couple.

I didn't submit a new police check for the UK as my old one was less than one year old. You only need a new one if the old one is more than a year out of date - and that's one of the reasons the PMV is valid for only 9 months - so the police check and medical should still be valid. If you haven't been asked for a new police check, don't get one. If you have been asked for it, try applying for it now (express service) and submit the visa application now with a note that you'll forward the police check when it arrives.

You've done the hard yards getting the PMV. Now concentrate on staying married for two years for the permanent visa - and staying married for many more years for a happy life together.

Sorry - to add to the other questions.

The bridging visa is issued immediately on receipt of the application - it's just a pro-forma letter. When I did this it was over the counter. If it is by post, it will be granted when they open your envelope. Just send the application special delivery if you are worried, but so long as you keep a copy of what you send you would be able to contact DIBP if you reach the deadline without hearing back. They don't want to deport you or trip you up - they see your husband as a citizen in waiting and want you both to be happy.

If you have forgotten to include something, they will ask you for it. The only reason they would deny the visa is if (a) they have clear evidence you are con artists involved in people smuggling or (b) you don't respond when asked for something. If you are asked for something and need more time, just ask. You're dealing with human beings who want to help you in any way the law lets them.

Sorry - to add to the other questions.

The bridging visa is issued immediately on receipt of the application - it's just a pro-forma letter. When I did this it was over the counter. If it is by post, it will be granted when they open your envelope. Just send the application special delivery if you are worried, but so long as you keep a copy of what you send you would be able to contact DIBP if you reach the deadline without hearing back. They don't want to deport you or trip you up - they see your husband as a citizen in waiting and want you both to be happy.

If you have forgotten to include something, they will ask you for it. The only reason they would deny the visa is if (a) they have clear evidence you are con artists involved in people smuggling or (b) you don't respond when asked for something. If you are asked for something and need more time, just ask. You're dealing with human beings who want to help you in any way the law lets them.

Quinkla, thanks so much for your calm reply! Once I read through both the replies I felt at ease. I just want him to hand it in now, financially we have to wait til the 20th Jan.. But I'm ok with that now. We are genuine, we're not involved in people smuggling etc haha... We are just 'worst case scenario' people and we didn't want to be punished for leaving it so late into the 9 months. This probably comes from having bad experiences with customer service at the Perth office.

I will stop worrying and get my last stat decs from my friends.

Do you know if he will have to submit form 80?

We didn't do a form 80 either. I wouldn't worry to much . I'm under the impression that because you've done the hard work on the pmv, the 820 is not gone over to the same extent. They just want to make sure you have married IMO. My wife had 820 visa back and approved 3 weeks after lodging it in Brisbane. We were shocked at how quick it was processed last year.

I came over on a 457 but transferred to a partner visa (801) as my wife (of 8 years) is Anglo-Australian.

There were horror stories about it taking 14 months to process an (onshore) 801 visa application and in fact I think DIAC quoted 12 months as the average. In the event it took about 10 days from receipt in Brisbane to notifying me by email.

I think many of the applications that take longer must be those in foreign languages and maybe from cultures that allow multiple spouses! At a guess, if your application is in English and from the UK/US/NZ/Canada/SA etc. it'll likely go through very quickly.

Both my UK and Australian police checks only took 3 weeks to complete (the UK one was slightly quicker as the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website 'lost' the application first time round but after reapplying they responded in under a week) so you could maybe get new ones. I seem to remember that the AFP website had links to apply for overseas police checks so it was really easy.

Regards sending in incomplete submissions, I only started when I wanted to change jobs and couldn't do it (easily) on a 457 visa. When I left my old job I only had 28 days to get a new job or a different visa so I completed as much of the paperwork as possible and then sent it off straight away. As explained by Quinkla, your bridging visa becomes valid as soon as they receive your application (and it's normally a notional visa, don't expect a certificate).

I then just sent off the outstanding components (police checks and personal character statements - which suggests that I did complete the Form 80 as well just to be on the safe side) about a month later and received confirmation of my visa change about 10 days (plus postage time) after that. I also got the 801 visa straight away. They can issue an 820 visa which has to be confirmed and made into a permanent 801 visa after 2 years ("providing you're still married") but I just jumped straight to the 801, perhaps it was because we'd already been married so long.

Anyway, I know what you mean, the task looks really onerous (especially the evidence such the "history of our relationship") but it's not to bad if you approach it in an organised way and by and large most Brits seems to have sailed through it - sure you will too.

All the best

I didn't do a Form 80 as I wasn't asked. But doesn't the Form 80 just ask for things that the 820 application form also asks for?

Yeah I sort of thought it doubled up on a lot of the info. I think we will wait.

The case officer who reads my husbands extensive travel history will love going through that!

The case officer who reads my husbands extensive travel history will love going through that!

I had a long list too - I like doing adventure journeys that span several countries. I also used to travel frequently to Ireland (I lived in Northern Ireland and petrol was cheaper in the South) and France/Belgium when I visited my mother in Kent. I had no records for these dates and just pur "frequent short visits to Ireland, France and Belgium". I don't imagine DIBP even look at this question - it is probably a hangover from the days when visits to Cuba or Czechoslovakia would raise eyebrows.

I came over on a 457 but transferred to a partner visa (801) as my wife (of 8 years) is Anglo-Australian.

There were horror stories about it taking 14 months to process an (onshore) 801 visa application and in fact I think DIAC quoted 12 months as the average. In the event it took about 10 days from receipt in Brisbane to notifying me by email.

I think many of the applications that take longer must be those in foreign languages and maybe from cultures that allow multiple spouses! At a guess, if your application is in English and from the UK/US/NZ/Canada/SA etc. it'll likely go through very quickly.

Both my UK and Australian police checks only took 3 weeks to complete (the UK one was slightly quicker as the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website 'lost' the application first time round but after reapplying they responded in under a week) so you could maybe get new ones. I seem to remember that the AFP website had links to apply for overseas police checks so it was really easy.

Regards sending in incomplete submissions, I only started when I wanted to change jobs and couldn't do it (easily) on a 457 visa. When I left my old job I only had 28 days to get a new job or a different visa so I completed as much of the paperwork as possible and then sent it off straight away. As explained by Quinkla, your bridging visa becomes valid as soon as they receive your application (and it's normally a notional visa, don't expect a certificate).

I then just sent off the outstanding components (police checks and personal character statements - which suggests that I did complete the Form 80 as well just to be on the safe side) about a month later and received confirmation of my visa change about 10 days (plus postage time) after that. I also got the 801 visa straight away. They can issue an 820 visa which has to be confirmed and made into a permanent 801 visa after 2 years ("providing you're still married") but I just jumped straight to the 801, perhaps it was because we'd already been married so long.

Anyway, I know what you mean, the task looks really onerous (especially the evidence such the "history of our relationship") but it's not to bad if you approach it in an organised way and by and large most Brits seems to have sailed through it - sure you will too.

All the best

Thanks, ABL275.

I think you get caught up in the details and when it comes down to be almost time to submit, panic sets in!

I really do think we have quite a bit of evidence and paperwork, but the control freak in me thinks that its not enough. I actually think its TOO MUCH evidence and paperwork, but better safe than sorry.

Luckily I am the organised type! Our paperwork is covered in green stickers, as we finish each section the green stickers come off... tonight there will be only a couple of green stickers to go :)

I think you get caught up in the details and when it comes down to be almost time to submit, panic sets in!

I really do think we have quite a bit of evidence and paperwork, but the control freak in me thinks that its not enough. I actually think its TOO MUCH evidence and paperwork, but better safe than sorry.

You actually don't need heaps of evidence. You have already demonstrated the genuineness of your relationship to get the PMV. What you need now is:

Marriage certificate - the official one issued by the State government, not the pretty one you got at the ceremony

2 statements from people who know you both to say you are a genuine couple

statement from each of you (couple of pages) explaining how you have shared lives in terms of finance (i.e. you share bills, rent, mortgage, etc), social (i.e. you go to the pub and holiday together), domestic (i.e. who cleans and who cooks), and emotionally (i.e. you sleep together)

By all means, show bills with both your names on and show your honeymoon booking, but don't overdo it. They aren't judging your marriage on a scale of 1-10, it's just a pass/fail and you only fail if you are people smugglers. There's really not much grey space to fall into.

Remember - the visa is your entitlement. It is not a gift that depends on the generosity of DIBP.

You actually don't need heaps of evidence. You have already demonstrated the genuineness of your relationship to get the PMV. What you need now is:

Marriage certificate - the official one issued by the State government, not the pretty one you got at the ceremony

2 statements from people who know you both to say you are a genuine couple

statement from each of you (couple of pages) explaining how you have shared lives in terms of finance (i.e. you share bills, rent, mortgage, etc), social (i.e. you go to the pub and holiday together), domestic (i.e. who cleans and who cooks), and emotionally (i.e. you sleep together)

By all means, show bills with both your names on and show your honeymoon booking, but don't overdo it. They aren't judging your marriage on a scale of 1-10, it's just a pass/fail and you only fail if you are people smugglers. There's really not much grey space to fall into.

Remember - the visa is your entitlement. It is not a gift that depends on the generosity of DIBP.

Awesome, thanks Quinkla!! Looking forward to handing it over and getting our spare room back - its like a paper bomb went off!

Archived