Visitors Visa for Parents (subclass 600) Tourist Stream

oppyddrum

We are planning to apply for my mother in-law to come visit us for a few months, about 6 months probably. It will be her first visit and she has not applied for the parent visa.

I am a citizen and my wife is a permanent resident, and MIL is 60yrs old.

My main question is whether or not we need to sign her up for visitor's health insurance as a requirement for the visa to be approved.

Second question, do we need to write a letter of invitation?

third and last question, do we have to have thousands saved in our bank accounts as proof of access to funds? she will be in our house and living with us, so there are no additional costs for accommodation and food and things like that. If there is anybody who has done this before, please let me know what you did. i was thinking a modest bank statement, pay slip, and maybe credit card statement...?

Thanks in advance!

1. After lodging the tourist visa application, a CO may ask to purchase comprehensive health insurance depending on how long the applicant intends to live in Australia. Generally for stays greater than or equal to 6 months, insurance is required. But again, it's completely at the discretion of the CO to request to see an insurance policy before the visa is granted. So I would not purchase a policy unless specifically asked.

2. Yes

3. As long as you can prove that you have sufficient funds to cover travel and living expenses of the applicant, you should be ok. Wouldn't hurt to include payslips, bank statements and credit card statements for the last 3 months.

Have you had a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/_pdf/600-document-checklist.pdf ?