Sub Contracting bricklayer in need of evidence help!!!

lucyholt

Hi!!

After a few set backs we are finally ready to start the skills assessment! We are applying for a 190 visa as my husband is a qualified Bricklayer with 12 years experience working within his trade. We were going to use a migration agent but figured before going with them we should do a bit of research and see how far we could get.

The only real issue we have is evidence to support my husbands skills assessment. He has always subcontracted and worked under a self employed basis but not had his own business. Whilst he can provide yearly accounts of his earning, good references from all companies he's worked for, customer references, photos, videos etc. The problem we face is when they ask for more business related documentation (for self employed) such as business accounts, receipts etc.

Generally he tells the company that he works for the price and turns up on the day completes the job and goes home, if he then decided he does not want to accept the following job, he doesnt :biggrin:

I am not sure if im worrying to much about this??? Im sure many brickies are faced with a similar situation and would be so so grateful if someone could offer me some help.

Hi!!

After a few set backs we are finally ready to start the skills assessment! We are applying for a 190 visa as my husband is a qualified Bricklayer with 12 years experience working within his trade. We were going to use a migration agent but figured before going with them we should do a bit of research and see how far we could get.

The only real issue we have is evidence to support my husbands skills assessment. He has always subcontracted and worked under a self employed basis but not had his own business. Whilst he can provide yearly accounts of his earning, good references from all companies he's worked for, customer references, photos, videos etc. The problem we face is when they ask for more business related documentation (for self employed) such as business accounts, receipts etc.

Generally he tells the company that he works for the price and turns up on the day completes the job and goes home, if he then decided he does not want to accept the following job, he doesnt :biggrin:

I am not sure if im worrying to much about this??? Im sure many brickies are faced with a similar situation and would be so so grateful if someone could offer me some help.

He's a sole trader then? i just sent in tax receipts,and an explanation that i only provide labour not materials

I thought there would be a simple explanation haha!!! My husbands more of a practical man not great with business terminology therefore his reply was "well I dont know, I just turn up, do the job, get paid then go home". If im not going to use an agent I just wanted to check what pitfalls I could face. Thanks for your help.

I thought there would be a simple explanation haha!!! My husbands more of a practical man not great with business terminology therefore his reply was "well I dont know, I just turn up, do the job, get paid then go home". If im not going to use an agent I just wanted to check what pitfalls I could face. Thanks for your help.

If its the skills assessment i done mine thru TRA,not sure if its the same now but.....

I battered them with loads of detail,type and size of brick or block used,engineering brick,London Brick,Jacobean brick etc,what type of bond used,water bond,Flemish bond,English bond,Stretcher bond blah blah,type of pointing,weather stuck,bucket handle etc

Type of work,civils,domestic,commercial,and remember its not really a "reference" you want off previous employers,saying Jack from Swansea is a good lad,turns up on time etc,its more a "statement"

Detailed lists of type of work carried out(as above),list tools used on every statement(daft i know,but just do it),remembering to get the person signing it off to state his position in the company,managing director,QS etc

Best of luck with it!

Btw,theres loads on here who know way more than me about visa's,you'll get help im sure

He's going through TRA and they offered him the choice of vetassess or victoria university to assess him. Think hes going to go through victoria as its quicker. They gave a list of things to include in each of the statements which we've passed onto the companies. Its quiet lucky as most of the people he's worked for have been friends that we keep in touch with so at least we havent got to track everyone done. Ive just completed my law degree but that was nothing compared to the trying to understand this haha!!!

I do so much research that im sure im confusing myself half the time. Are you living in oz yet? how have you found the whole process?

He's going through TRA and they offered him the choice of vetassess or victoria university to assess him. Think hes going to go through victoria as its quicker. They gave a list of things to include in each of the statements which we've passed onto the companies. Its quiet lucky as most of the people he's worked for have been friends that we keep in touch with so at least we havent got to track everyone done. Ive just completed my law degree but that was nothing compared to the trying to understand this haha!!!

I do so much research that im sure im confusing myself half the time. Are you living in oz yet? how have you found the whole process?

I used an agent,because of time constraints,no,not in aus ,long story lol, quick version!,having trouble selling hse,mam got terminal cancer so had to take it off market for approx 18 months when we were getting viewings,wasn't leaving then obviously,and i split up with my ex last september who i was going to aus with,other than that,everythings aces lol

Managed to get an RRV,runs out in August,so we'll see Lucy?!

sounds like the visa part was the easy bit for you then! We had some similar set backs lost 3 close family members couldnt sell the house. Thats the reason we dont want to throw anymore money away on agents. The whole process has doubled in price since we first started so now the house is sold and im driving around in a flintstones car I dont want to see another cold xmas.

Would you say the evidence is quiet straight forward and not too difficult for the average brickie to obtain???

sounds like the visa part was the easy bit for you then! We had some similar set backs lost 3 close family members couldnt sell the house. Thats the reason we dont want to throw anymore money away on agents. The whole process has doubled in price since we first started so now the house is sold and im driving around in a flintstones car I dont want to see another cold xmas.

Would you say the evidence is quiet straight forward and not too difficult for the average brickie to obtain???

Some people tend to type out the statements themselves,IE if the company is ok with you,get them to send you letter heads,you type out the details/duties involved,format the statement as required then get them to sign it?

Aus Immi apparently do look in on PIO,so i wont say "too" much ;)

Getting statements back was the most difficult part tbh,put about 3 or 4 months on the process,it was easier for us then tho,much harder and more expensive for people now sadly,hope it all works out,you're obv a bright girl,so im sure you will be able to do it all yourself,with maybe a few pointers from people on PIO

oh thanks for that!! We've been collecting bits and bobs over the past few years so hopefully it will start coming together. Thank again for your help, hope it all work out for you.

No worries Lucy,its what the forums for,people all help each other on here as much as they can,i know little of today's visa's,all changed tbh,but there's a good few on here who are very knowledgeable thankfully,thank you! same to you Lucy

I used an agent,because of time constraints,no,not in aus ,long story lol, quick version!,having trouble selling hse,mam got terminal cancer so had to take it off market for approx 18 months when we were getting viewings,wasn't leaving then obviously,and i split up with my ex last september who i was going to aus with,other than that,everythings aces lol

Managed to get an RRV,runs out in August,so we'll see Lucy?!

:hug::sad::hug:

Just random Pabs but I sincerely hope you get where you wanna be, if anyone I'd really like that for you x

:hug::sad::hug:

Just random Pabs but I sincerely hope you get where you wanna be, if anyone I'd really like that for you x

Ahhhh plenty worse things have happened and "are" happening to others girl tbh,it wont be the end of the world if i cant go,my ex has left me with legal and financial complications over selling the house too:twitcy:

If its meant to be it will be i suppose,just seems obstacles have been in the way on and off the last few years tbh,but im not alone in that,thank you very much Jodi,appreciate that!:notworthy:x

Hi we have applied for 190 for SA on the basis of my husband being a bricklayer subcontracting the same as your husband. We have used an agent. We just had to provide any wage slips from companies he did jobs for along with references. Any receipts we had (the odd few) we provided also, along with certificates of awards he had received for jobs he had done and this seemed to be enough according to our agent x

Well your problems aren't any less relevant pet, and they matter to your life. There's always someone worse off but the same said the crap we all deal with on a personal level is relevant to us...you're a good'n.from what Ive gathered think so anyway, and I hope things are on the up for you soon hinny :wink:

Thats great!! Everyone that Chris (OH) has worked for are great and happy to help as much as possible so shouldn't be too much of a problem collecting things like that. Realistically I should imagine the majority of tradies are faced with this issue but I always make the mistake of obsessing of all the things that could go wrong haha!!!

We want to apply for SA SS also!! So hopefully we wont be far behind you, then I can stress over finding jobs haha!!!

Archived