Searching for a home in Sydney!

AliciaInOz

Hi everyone...just moved to Sydney today and am new to the forum. Am looking for a place to live whilst I'm in Sydney for two years, but not sure where to start! Can anyone please advise me where's especially good/bad, what a decent price is, need for car or where's good for transport etc? Or in fact knows of an available place! I am looking for a 2-bed place within 20min commute of CBD and with easy beach access. Any pointers would be great please!!

Guest guest73691

Hello and welcome to Sydney! Housing can be expensive here (especially with easy beach access and close to the CBD) so is likely to be dictated by your budget. What would be your max weekly spend on rent? Also do you have any preference as to mode of commute?

Have you looked on Realestate.com and Domain.com both have lots of rentals. You can use the postcode or suburb name to check out availability and costs in various areas. If you want furnished its a lot more expensive and sites like Stayz, Takeabreak and Gumtree have ad's for those.

Hope this helps a little

Cal x

Guest guest73691

In addition to the above, I found http://www.cityhobo.com/ useful for finding out a bit more about suburbs. You can search by proximity to the CBD and by areas which may suit particular types of people e.g. single, families, professionals etc.

I live in the Eastern Suburbs, which I like but it can (unfortunately) be really expensive, particularly in some of the more "desirable" areas. Depending on where you are thinking of looking, $650 a week may not give heaps of options for decent 2 bedders. Obviously, if you can compromise on proximity to the beach and/or the CBD you are likely to get more for your money. I'd say keep your search area wide to start with. One problem I found when I was looking was that often online somewhere would look great, but when I went to look at the place it would be tiny and/or hadn't been decorated since about 1960. I would say try and go to as many open houses as you can and make sure you have all your paperwork ready in case you like somewhere.

If you are here by yourself, another option would be to consider a house share while you work out where you want to live and get a feel for different areas. I rent a room to a housemate and I've found it a great way of getting to know people as well :)

Good luck with the search!

• 5 weeks later...
Hi everyone...just moved to Sydney today and am new to the forum. Am looking for a place to live whilst I'm in Sydney for two years, but not sure where to start! Can anyone please advise me where's especially good/bad, what a decent price is, need for car or where's good for transport etc? Or in fact knows of an available place! I am looking for a 2-bed place within 20min commute of CBD and with easy beach access. Any pointers would be great please!!

I prefer north of the Harbour around Manly, but that is a personal view. What you have just described is Bondi and surrounds. It'll tick all your boxes I reckon.

I did a search for 'share rental' accomodation on www.domain.com.au in post code '2010' (Surry Hills, where I live, plus surrounding 'burbs), using $500 as the maximum, and a few places came up. Surry Hills is only one stop from Town Hall, but it still takes me 20-30 mins to get to the CBD, or at least I try to give myself at least 30 mins, if I have an appointment. 1442 as I type this, could be at Central by 1448, but then fiddle about getting a ticket, get to the platform, hope there's a train due, three minutes between stations, walk out the other end.

24 properties for sale found in: Surry Hills 2010(including 20 in surrounding suburbs)

[h=2]View Options[/h]

map options

[h=3]Show the following points of interest on the map:[/h]

• Schools
  • Shopping Centres
  • Parks
  • Community Facilities
  • Entertainment
  • Restaurants
  • Recreation Centres
  • Airport
  • Power Stations
  • Rubbish Dumps
  • Health Care
  • Emergency Services
  • Jails
  • Cemetery
  • Treatment Plants
  • Cafes

Show properties on mapSort Results...Suburb A-ZSuburb Z-ALowest PriceHighest PriceLatest ListingInspection TimeVideo

• Add to shortlist[h=3]Holt Street, Surry Hills[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms2Bathrooms3Car spaces–
    88370811pipm31104458?mod=140204-124148[h=4]$340[/h][h=5]Double Room + Own Bathroom in 2 Level Apartment[/h]Large, fully furnished, modern apartment just a 3 minute walk from Central station in Surry Hills. With cafes and restau...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]8 Cooper St, Surry Hills[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms2Bathrooms1Car spaces–

88281791pipm26091219?mod=140129-195132[h=4]$330[/h][h=5]Awesome location in Surry Hills – Very close to shops, restaurants & tra...[/h]Looking for a clean, professional female (20-35yo) non-smoker with no pets or children, keen to live in a fantastic loca...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]Cleveland St, Surry Hills[/h]Property typeHouseBedrooms5Bathrooms3Car spaces–

noPhotoTopSpot.gif[h=4]$250[/h][h=5]Stay some where nice?Big Room[/h]Surry Hills very big furnished room! with includes all expense and wireless unlimited internet. very close to transport ...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]43 Bellevue Street, Surry Hills[/h]Property typeHouseBedrooms4Bathrooms1Car spaces–

88341731pipm30091029?mod=140203-130200[h=4]$225[/h][h=5]5 MIN WALK FROM CENTRAL STATION: 43 BELLEVUE ST, SURRY HILLS[/h]VERY CHEAP! One person per room, $225/week. - 5 MIN WALK TO CENTRAL STATION - easy and convenient access to shops and ...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[h=2]20 results found in surrounding suburbs[/h]

• Add to shortlist[h=3]Day St, Haymarket[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms2Bathrooms2Car spaces–

• 88256421pipm31162142?mod=140204-143534
    • 88256422pipm31162143?mod=140204-143534

[h=4]$490[/h][h=5]Prime Location (City/Darling Harbour) Single&Master Room[/h]Two bedroom, fully furnished apartment positioned on Level 11 in "Millennium Tower" facing north west. Open plan kitchen overlooks the l...

More DetailsAdvertiserAdvertiser videoContact Rony Tong

Private Advertiser

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]187 Liverpool Street, Sydney[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms2Bathrooms2Car spaces–

• 88358031pipm30172042?mod=140204-150904
    • 88358032pipm30172043?mod=140204-150904

[h=4]$450[/h][h=5]A ROOM WITH A MILLION DOLLAR VIEW[/h]Professional Person to share with female in furnished 2 bed / 2 bath apartment in the 'The Connaught' available from Saturday 15 Februar...

More DetailsAdvertiserAdvertiser videoContact Julie C

Private Advertiser

[*][h=3]Domain[/h]1_redfern729-128x72.jpg[h=3]Auction madness returns[/h]

1_outlook729-128x72.jpg[h=3]Auctions off and running for 2014[/h]

title729-128x72.jpg[h=3]Sydney's prized real estate[/h]

1_apmrents169-128x72.jpg[h=3]Rents: a mixed picture[/h]

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]148 Elizabeth Street, Sydney[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms1Bathrooms1Car spaces–

88435301pipm04123504?mod=140205-000313Just Listed[h=4]$450[/h][h=5]Modern Apartment Bedroom For Rent - Sydney City CBD[/h]1 bedroom in shared apartment available for rent. Ideally located in the centre of Sydney CBD close to everything. Walk ...

More DetailsAdvertisersearchlogo_17692.GIF

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]48/1-35 Pine Street, Chippendale[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms2Bathrooms3Car spaces–

88403451pipm03104905?mod=140203-220941Just Listed[h=4]$420 Negotiable[/h][h=5]Master Room in Sydney City for Rent[/h]Beautifully furnished master room with attached personal toilet/shower and balcony,space for many potted plants. .Wirele...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]343-357 Pitt St, Sydney[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms3Bathrooms1Car spaces–

noPhotoTopSpot.gifJust Listed[h=4]$330[/h][h=5]Room For Rent[/h]Luxury full furnished apartment very good location. 1min to Town Hall station, QVB & World Square. The building has Gym...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]56 Stanley Street, Darlinghurst[/h]Property typeHouseBedrooms3Bathrooms1Car spaces1

88405091pipm03113957?mod=140203-232426Just Listed[h=4]$290[/h][h=5]1 lg unfurnished room in 3BR Darlinghurst Terrace[/h]Rent: $290/w Bond: $1160 Available from: 25 February 2014 Parking available (on street - but you will need a permit) Mi...

More DetailsAdvertiser

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]148 Elizabeth Street, Sydney[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms1Bathrooms1Car spaces–

87529221pipm12111042?mod=131216-130757[h=4]$449[/h][h=5]Modern Penthouse Apartment Bedroom For Rent - Sydney City CBD[/h]1 bedroom in shared penthouse apartment available for rent. Ideally located in the centre of Sydney CBD close to everyth...

More DetailsAdvertisersearchlogo_17692.GIF

[*]Add to shortlist[h=3]222 Sussex St, Sydney[/h]Property typeApartment/UnitBedrooms3Bathrooms2Car spaces–

88085141pipm04085417?mod=140204-201220

Guest Guest40285

Eastern suburbs for sure, Best place in Sydney to live, Bondi junction, clovelly, Randwick, Maroubra, Bronte, Coogee, The Spot, I lived in Randwick and Maroubra and bloody loved it, Good with it all and happy days.

Eastern suburbs for sure, Best place in Sydney to live, Bondi junction, clovelly, Randwick, Maroubra, Bronte, Coogee, The Spot, I lived in Randwick and Maroubra and bloody loved it, Good with it all and happy days.

I was at Bondi Jn, yesterday, doing a few chores, renewing my licence, skin cancer check, buying a new pair of shoes, and I think I'd rather live there, than down at Bondi Beach or any of the other beaches because of the transport and shopping. I hate parking at Westfield, though, $20 or was it $25 plus 60c for using my credit card. The Spot is OK, but impossible to park. I bet you don't have any parking worries 'in the hills behind Byron Bay!? (Not been up there for a long time. The last year I was there, in 2009, I missed Byron, going inland to check out Nimbin. I guess I could have done both on that trip, as I spent over a week driving from Brisbane to Sydney.

Archived