Family of 5 moving to Northern Beaches....

Jersey2Sydney

Hello! We are moving to Sydney in Sept 2014.

We want to live on the northern beaches. We are flexible on location, wanting a good state school which will then dictate where we live. We like everywhere from Manly up as fas as Avalon and across as far as Frenchs Forest! Hubby did a 3 week recc last May and so has some idea of the lay of the land, distances etc. We have also done extensive online research but nothing beats an on the ground, we have done it recommendation :biggrin:

We have 3 children, 2 girls who will be 8 and 4 (almost 5) when we arrive and needing to enter the Australian school system in Jan 2015 into the equivalent of UK year 3 and reception. Though I am unsure when the 4 year old will enter school as her 5th b'day is in Feb2015. Does anyone know? Our youngest, a boy will be 3 in Jan2015. We know about catchment areas and the requirement for a school to provide a place if you live within it. We would hope to be able to rent within the catchment of our preferred school/schools. This of course may not be possible but we would prefer a state to a private school (although they currently attend a private school!). So recommendations of good schools in various locations will be gratefully received. We have a permanent visa (skilled nominated subclass 190) and so are not required to pay any school fees.

I hope to be able to pick the brains of all who can assist us in the biggest and furthest move of our lives!

many thanks,

Rachel x

I think budget and work location should be the determining factors, not school. There will be plenty of decent state schools in the northern beaches. I am afraid I cannot recommend any, but I do think you are looking at this wrongly.

Choose your area, then school. There will be a big range of budgets between Manly and Avalon and also the commute times to many places are going to vary by two hours a day. These things will have a big impact on your life (and you mention a long London commute as being something you want to change on your other thread) whereas there will be decent schools in both those locations and all the others in-between.

Thanks for your input. Hubby will most likely be working in the CBD and is happy to cycle/walk/bus to the Manly ferry to get to work. He does not currently actually commute in the usual sense of the word, he flies to London on a Monday and returns on a Thursday. We do not live on the UK mainland, Jersey is off the coast of France, 100miles south of Portsmouth/Southampton.

We will of course be guided by how far in reality he wants to be from the ferry and how easy that journey may be. That said our school choice and options are very important and will have almost an equal bearing on our location choice.

Cheers x

I do agree with both views on the school issue, I do think schools should be a major factor with children especially young ones however, as Rupert says Northern Suburbs seem to be quite affluent and the schools have good reports so I am sure the children will settle well. One thing I have learnt in the UK is my children were in a school a few years ago that was rated by Ofsted as excellent and I thought I would never beat it when we relocated to Nottingham, however this school was initially only rated as good and yet it puts their old school to shame. They are so much happier here, the teachers treat the children like family, there are after school activities and competitions every night. Sometimes I think ratings etc don't show a schools full potential. Sometimes when you walk into a school and meet the teaching staff you just know what feels right. Unfortunately, that's not something you can preplan in advance. Perhaps a list of the schools in the whole area and make a judgement based on the website and then view a couple upon arrival whilst in temporary accommodation?

Thanks for your input. Hubby will most likely be working in the CBD and is happy to cycle/walk/bus to the Manly ferry to get to work. He does not currently actually commute in the usual sense of the word, he flies to London on a Monday and returns on a Thursday. We do not live on the UK mainland, Jersey is off the coast of France, 100miles south of Portsmouth/Southampton.

We will of course be guided by how far in reality he wants to be from the ferry and how easy that journey may be. That said our school choice and options are very important and will have almost an equal bearing on our location choice.

Cheers x

I am puzzled by the wanting to get the Manly ferry, is that an absolute must or are you under the impression that this is what most would do? In fact few people on the northern beaches would be using the Manly ferry, I would think only the people in Manly would. From Avalon say, it would be 40 minutes in a car to Manly wharf on a good day, so that is a long bike ride / overall commute time. If getting the Manly ferry is definitely important though, it can narrow your search down considerably as I would limit to Manly and maybe the next suburb, but would certainly rule out anything more than that. We live in Collaroy and I wouldn't dream of getting the ferry to work from there, one of my colleagues lives in Freshwater, which is nearer to Manly than I am, but he doesn't get the ferry in either.

Again re schools, there is not just one good school that you must get to, there are plenty of good schools as there generally are in good areas. I honestly don't think you are going to pick out a single winner and certainly not from the internet.

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/Secondary/nsw/sydney_top_secondary_schools.aspx

This website seems like a good start point for looking at areas with high achieving schools. I don't know how reliable it is. I can't find a league table or OFSTED report equivalent.

Between schools and train lines we've been looking at Ryde, Artarmon, Lane Cove, Turramurra.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I grew up in Avalon, moved to the UK in my mid 20's, nearly 10 years ago now. Hoping to move back before the end of this year, subject to my husbands visa being granted! All primary schools in the area are pretty good. Are far as I'm aware all families would generally just choose to send their kids to the closest to where they live. In regards to high school, if not going private then Manly High is probably the best, its a selective school so you have to pass a test, like grammar schools used to be. It's not in Manly though, it's North Curl Curl area. I had relatives who lived in Beacon Hill, which is close to Frenchs Forest, and they used to get the ferry from Manly. I'd say its probably more expensive on the ferry, but unless you lived on the main bus route, it would take a couple of buses which would make the bus trip longer. The ferry is pretty bloody good way to get into Sydney (amazing view every morning).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

We live on the Northern Beaches (Scotland Island) and actually send our kids all the way to Belrose to go to a fantastic little primary school called John Colet. It is private but worth every cent. My eldest went to the local primary school for a few years and was doing fine but when friends sent their kids to John Colet Primary we saw how fantastic teaching can be. The school has a very English feel but a broad curriculum and the care / dedication of the staff is outstanding. Don't take my word for it though: check out the stats and rankings on any of the education sites such as http://www.myschool.edu.au.

Good luck with where ever you land!

A

• 2 months later...

I would choose to live anywhere between Manly/Seaforth and North Curl Curl. Most of the primary schools are very good as is the transport into the CBD. A lot of expats live here, you'll find the majority of them very friendly and always happy to stop for a chat. If you're moving to Oz you have to live by the beach and this area of Sydney is beautiful, it might be expensive in terms or real estate but it's worth it!

Guest km75

We live in Frenchs Forest and love it, it is very family friendly - we are approx 9kms from Manly and 5kms from Dee Why so still within striking distant to the beaches.

Re: traveling to work, when we lived in Freshwater & I worked at CQ, I used to alternate, I'd either walk to Manly and hop on the ferry (which IMO is the best way to travel to work) or I'd get the E65 from very close to home into Wynyard and walk from there. My husband drives in now, but he goes early (at office for 7am) and it takes about 30 mins (he has parking at work).

Schools: my boys are in Kindy and Year 2 at Frenchs Forest Public School (they will be 6 in July and 8 in August), I am really happy with the school, as are they. It is quite a small school, there are two classes per year and about 20 per class. There are a variety of great public primary schools in the NB, the ones I have heard to avoid are Brookvale and Dee Why. Depending on where you end up, some schools that are small (like FFPS) take children outwith catchment, but big ones, like Harbord and Beacon Hill do not. I have heard Manly Vale is lovely too. The schools, unlike England, have to take you if you are in the catchment - so if you can find a house where you want to send the kids to school you are sorted.

School ages, children have to start school by their 6th birthday - the age cut of in NSW is 31 July, though I have heard rumours of this changing to 30 June - a Feb birthday (that turns 5 in Feb 2015) could start school end of Jan 2015 or Jan 2016, she would be one of the younger ones as most in my son's Kindy year are now having their 6th birthday, but some are younger.

I guess all depends on your budget, the NB is not a cheap area, our rent for a small 3 bed house is $850 pw, and honestly at that moment you wouldn't get much change from $1,000,000 to buy a reasonable 3/4 bed house in the area I am afraid.

Just one thing in regards to Frenchs Forest, there is serious talk of a hospital being built next to the High School, with works starting next year, completion 2018 which may affect the area significantly - housing may be re-zoned and there is talk of tunnels and overpasses and the government acquiring some houses, so it's all a bit unknown right now, but certainly look into it prior to buying a house! Of course there has been talk for 30 years, but this time it seems like it actually might happen!!

Good luck with the move!

• 3 weeks later...

We are in a similar situation and hope to move by the end of the year. We have 2 kids and our eldest is 5 in March 2015 but its my understanding that she can start the school year in Jan assuming we are there by then.

We are looking at similar areas and like the look and sound of Frenchs Forest and have heard good things about the schools there. We have friends living in Balgowlah and they are very happy there. The only drawback is the commute to the city and my OH would love to do the Manly ferry as well but we'll have to see how far our budget stretches once we are there. I would agree with the amounts above for rentals and buying as minimums for the Northern Beaches. We also have family in Avalon and its a good hours drive to the city on off peak hours too. We plan to do the same on our recce trip and just drive around the neighbourhoods to get a better feel. I spend a lot of time on domain!

Good luck with it all!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good thread.

We are a family of 5 (with a dog) and are also quite keen on Northern beaches, but won't be moving out there until April 2015 (approx) - just been doing Visa stuff for ages, so it's not worth getting excited about until then, but I will be sure to check this thread again when the time comes.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jersey2Sydney & others moving to the NB.

We have been living on the Northern Beaches for just over 2 years now and LOVE IT. It really is a great place, especially for the kids, lots to do, plenty beaches and parks, very kid friendly.

Re schools: pretty much all the public primary schools on the NBs are good, I have heard mixed reports about DeeWhy PS and Brookvale PS however I havent personally been in either so that is just hearsay. Out of cathcment placements are being 'actively discouraged' from the end of this year so something to bear in mind.

Re commute: Collaroy downwards is around an hour on the bus to the CBD which isnt too bad.

I also run a FB group for Poms in the Northern Beaches (Northern Beaches Poms), we have regular meet ups and is a good place to ask specific questions etc about the area. Feel free to join.

Thanks MsJulz. My friends in Balgowlah recommended your Facebook page and I'll check it out again nearer the time we are ready to come down for a look see. We're just waiting for our visa to be granted, then plan to come for a recce in Sept time. We have a dog so the earliest we can move is next Jan/ Feb anyway now as we've held off until we were further along with the visa.

• 2 months later...
Does anyone on here know if buses to the CBD are expensive? Is commuting expensive from northern beaches areas?

If anyone has a link to the bus company website to research pricing that would be great. Thanks

harnessing the power of The Google, I typed in "Transport NSW" and this website popped up - see "customers" at the top for different methods of public transport:

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/

Archived