Hire CamperVan VS Flying

Matty91

Hi

I arrive in Sydney in two weeks and after our first week there we are looking at travelling down to Melbourne, i have been looking on the internet and i have found flying to be a cheaper option than getting the coach and it is a lot quicker, But i have also found a good deal on a relocation camper van down to Sydney aswell but i have a couple questions to ask as i am confused by some of the terms that they use and hopefully you will be able to help me out? (there offices are shut so i would of been able to ask them).

Is someone able to put this into simple terms for me:

'Travel Restrictions

For relocations, all vehicle types (incl. 4wd vehicles) can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads or well maintained access roads less than 500 metres long to recognized campgrounds.

For relocations, night driving (from dusk to dawn) is not permitted anywhere west of a line drawn between Mount Isa and Adelaide.

While you are on a relocation rental, if you are found to be driving on unsealed roads, driving in restricted areas and/or night driving west of a line drawn between Mt Isa and Adelaide, you will be fined $1500 by Apollo, even if no damage has occurred to the vehicle.'

As in would the above allow me to drive down the coast from Sydney to Melbourne along the great ocean road? or do i have to travel inland?

Also it is a 6 birth van, so would it be heavy on the fuel? How much roughly would you think in total would it cost from Sydney to Melbourne (just a quick guess)?

Guest The Pom Queen

I will get Rob to work out the costing for you as we travelled around in a 6 berth.

The terms are saying you cannot drive on an unsealed road ie a gravel/dirt track, the main roads whether coastal or inland are sealed. Just be wary if you head in to a National park they may be unsealed.

Rupert is right the Great Ocean Road is the one from Melbourne to Adelaide are you getting mixed up with the Grand Pacific Drive?

The coastal road is absolutely stunning, however please be wary that the relocations usually restrict you to a certain number of days so you won't have time to take everything in. You will also need to pay a high bond and be over 25.

Archived