Uk qualified plumber looking for mine work

hartburbs

Hi All

I am new to this so please go easy on me and help were you can.

My girlfriend is sorting our permanent residency and i am her defacto.

I am a qualified Plumber level 3 diploma and looking to live in Adelaide with my partners Parents. I really want to go into the mines i am a hard worker and good at what i do, i want to be able to provide for mine and my partners future family and i know the money is in the mines.

Please if anyone could give me advise on how to get my foot in the door as i need to start applying for jobs now while we are in the UK.

Many thanks

Anthony

Hi Anthony

First check what you need to do with your qualifications. Most UK qualifications, especially for plumbers, mean diddly squat once here and each State has their own licencing system.

From reading on here getting into the mines can be tough ,so it maybe easier to look for local work ,get some Aussie experience under your belt and take things from there.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

At the moment it is very hard for people to get into the industry as the industry is in a major downturn and a lot of staff have been laid off. So you are competing against people with mine experience who are looking for work - people with mine experience is always prefered to someone without.

There also isnt a huge demand for plumbers. Most sites might have one or two.

Generally they are contractors.

There are two places i would recomend you look. The first is infomine.com The careers section is excellent. It does require a subscription that is about $10 a month.

The other is to look up ESS who are part of the compass group. They run a lot of the camps for mining companies.

What you need to be aware of, particularly with companies such as ESS is that the hourly rate for staff is no higher than what you earn in a regular job. It just that you work more hours - normal days on a mine are 12 hours per day.

Archived