buying iPhone

meegs

Check out the cost of an unlocked phone on Amazon.co.uk and compare with the cost in Oz. Its worth remembering that if you leave Oz (even on holiday and intending to return after a couple of weeks) within a month of buying something, you can reclaim the GST at the airport of departure. You need to show the sales invoice containing GST info and usually produce the item as well (just to prove its going with you).

Definitely worth doing for small high cost electronic stuff like phones, cameras and notebook PCs.

Depending on how you use your phone there are some really good sim only deals to be had from most providers - look at Tescos for example - they piggyback off the O2 network and you can get 1000minutes + 5000 texts + 1 GB for GBP10/month on a 12 month contract

When the dollar was at its strongest then buying one outright in Aus and claiming back the GST was the way to go but now the dollar has been sliding it's probably not quite as attractive but you could do the Math - with GST of firman well still come out ahead.. It'd probably be cheaper to go with a plan in UK if you don't want to buy one outright.

Be careful about warranty stuff.

Your 1 year limited warranty may be void if you buy it in Australia and take it to the UK. And Apple's warranty is pretty good i.e. if you bust the earpods, you can return them to Apple free of charge in exchange for a brand new pair.

Aside from that you'd also have to risk using an adapter or buy a new wall charger. A minor issue but a cost none the less.

I would just wait to be honest. Plus some things may be incompatible as there may be different frequency bands for 4G for example, if you are worried about that kinda stuff (it is a huge improvement on 3G if you can get it in your area! But then again 3G connections in the UK to me seem to be faster than cabled connections in Australia! Ridiculous)

Your call but if it was me, for an iPhone, I'd wait til you're back there to avoid any issues. Having said that I got my iPhone 4 unlocked in Australia and used it in the UK for 3 weeks with no issues... But then I didn't break anything/wasn't moving back so I don't know the full extent.

Be careful about warranty stuff.

Your 1 year limited warranty may be void if you buy it in Australia and take it to the UK. And Apple's warranty is pretty good i.e. if you bust the earpods, you can return them to Apple free of charge in exchange for a brand new pair.

Aside from that you'd also have to risk using an adapter or buy a new wall charger. A minor issue but a cost none the less.

I would just wait to be honest. Plus some things may be incompatible as there may be different frequency bands for 4G for example, if you are worried about that kinda stuff (it is a huge improvement on 3G if you can get it in your area! But then again 3G connections in the UK to me seem to be faster than cabled connections in Australia! Ridiculous)

Your call but if it was me, for an iPhone, I'd wait til you're back there to avoid any issues. Having said that I got my iPhone 4 unlocked in Australia and used it in the UK for 3 weeks with no issues... But then I didn't break anything/wasn't moving back so I don't know the full extent.

Apple's warranty is international as is AppleCare - my 3GS gave up the ghost here in UK and it was replaced NQA even though it had been bought in Aus. The charger is the only thing you'd need to get replaced, faffing around with adaptor sis a PITA. If you get it on an Aus plan of course then all bets are off - buy outright or wait for a UK plan

Archived