A year in and loving it!

conor222

Is this Surry Hills?

Any info on good family orientated places welcome from me - as we are moving out there next year

I think they mean the Hills District. Yes it is suburbia and families like it, cheaper than some of the places you were thinking of.

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice/opinions you can offer would be great! We're hopefully just a year behind you (hoping to be out by Jan 15) and our children are 11,6 & 5. We're coming out in March to do a reccie of the areas we're interested in.

My husbands going to be based in the CBD for work so we're trying to decide between North Shore (in particular, Chatswood & Crows Nest) where we'll get less space but a shorter commute & lots going on or, the Hills district (in particular, Kellyville & Castle Hill) where we'll get much more house for our money and a bit more of suburbia but a bigger commute! The Hills seem beautiful and internal space is important to us, as is, a lovely community with lots going on for families. It's such a hard decision.

Nice to hear your loving it. I'd love to hear how you've found the transition & how the children have settled etc....just any advice really!

We didn't even reccie we just moved! Happy to !

We moved to Adelaide first (state sponsorship) for a few weeks while we waited for our stuff and then hubby found a house in the hills while we were in Adelaide and then we just told the movers! Kids have been fine.

Chat wood is nice but pretty built up. Hills is all brand new houses and parks etc

Let me know any questions?

Great, thanks Conor222.

Which area of the Hills are you based in? Do you often travel into Sydney itself and if so, how long does it take (I wasn't too sure exactly how far out it is). I'd be really interested to know if there's much going on for the children (clubs etc), how far the nearest beaches would be, and also if there are good restaurants, cafés etc locally or again, do you have to travel further towards Sydney? We love being at home and having friends over, but we also love to eat out a lot, both with the children and as a couple. Personal opinion I know, but do you feel your missing anything being further out?

No nothing. I travel to the city every day it's a 40 min bus trip. Rouse hill castle hill west pennant Winston hills Bella vista and Stanhope and Kellyville all have gorgeous restaurants. We will eventually move to the beaches just because we like the beach but where we are is a brilliant place to land to then decide. We have done a year and are in no rush to leave the area we love it. Schools are great it's 40 mins to beach we have a HUGE house it's on a 600m block and bigger than any 6 bed in the uk. It's cheap rent (much cheaper than chats wood or anywhere up the beaches rent is a lot there).

Happy to meet when you do your reccie.

We are a family of 7 now.. I have 16, 6,4,2 and a live in nanny.

40 minutes isn't too bad and the idea of having plenty of space is really enticing! I'd love to be able to bike to the beach or be closer to the city but I don't think we'll be able to compromise too much on the type of house we want, so the Hills may well offer what we're looking for. We like being busy and I'll be at home initially (although would like to return to work or set up something for myself at some point) so it would be good to be in an area where there is lots going on. Which area is the main hub of the Hills (is it Rouse Hill?)? I'd also be interested to know if there are any riding stables nearby as the children are massively into horses and not looking forward to leaving them behind! Would be great to meet up so I'll definitely be in touch prior to coming out for a reccie!

Archived