Postponing 309 temporary visa going 100 permanent?

TheGreatDane

When you apply for the 309 you are applying for permanent residency at the same time. If you do not provide the documents they request when they reassess you for permanent residency by whatever deadline they give you, it's my understanding they will then decide your relationship must not still be genuine and ongoing and then cancel your 309, at which time you'll have 28 days to leave the country. Seems like paying tax would be preferable...

The 309 is not actually a temporary visa. It is a provisional visa. It seems ridiculous to want to throw away a visa that will allow you to stay in Australia permanently for one that won't. You never know when requirements will change and you will no longer be able to get permanent residency/citizenship when you want it.

I want to avoid my overseas assets becoming subject to Australian tax for as long as possible

Your visa status and tax status are not linked. If you are living in Australia then you are resident for tax purposes and your overseas income is assessable to Australian tax.

There are some provisions / exceptions for certain temporary visa holders, such as the 457 visa holders, but as far as I know these exemptions are not available for temporary partner visa holders as clearly your intention is to stay. Therefore I believe your overseas income is assessable anyway.

Your visa status and tax status are not linked. If you are living in Australia then you are resident for tax purposes and your overseas income is assessable to Australian tax.

There are some provisions / exceptions for certain temporary visa holders, such as the 457 visa holders, but as far as I know these exemptions are not available for temporary partner visa holders as clearly your intention is to stay. Therefore I believe your overseas income is assessable anyway.

I wondered about that but haven't had to deal with the tax aspect myself yet and didn't know. Sounds like OP may have bigger issues.

I wondered about that but haven't had to deal with the tax aspect myself yet and didn't know. Sounds like OP may have bigger issues.

Yes, it sounds like they have not been declaring income that should have been declared. Although they also keep talking about "tax on assets", there is no such thing, just tax on income.

The 309 is a temporary visa. My case officer confirmed so herself and said while they couldn't give tax advice I am considered a temporary visa holder until a decision has been made on the 100 permanent visa, and my stay is in effect temporary.

Thats great for me which means I will be a non UK resident paying no UK income or capital gains tax and also only paying tax on any Oz onshore income

Tax advisors I've spoken to seem to agree and I am getting this confirmed by a big five accountancy firm.

Sounds like a bit of a grey area and other people have interpreted it to their advantage.

In any case CGT in Oz has a 50% discount on 50% of the gains so almost mirroring EU countries. Could always create losses to offset the gains.

College girl is right. 309 visas are not temporary visas. They are provisional which is different to temporary and permanent visas. Essentially they are permanent visas with a condition to you are still in a relationship after 2 years. You do not apply for a permanent visa, you just have to prove the relationship. This is why you can claim many benefits temp visa holders cannot. As such you are classed as resident in Australia in the same way as perm visa holders and citizens.

The 309 is a temporary visa. My case officer confirmed so herself and said while they couldn't give tax advice I am considered a temporary visa holder until a decision has been made on the 100 permanent visa, and my stay is in effect temporary.

Thats great for me which means I will be a non UK resident paying no UK income or capital gains tax and also only paying tax on any Oz onshore income

Tax advisors I've spoken to seem to agree and I am getting this confirmed by a big five accountancy firm.

Sounds like a bit of a grey area and other people have interpreted it to their advantage.

In any case CGT in Oz has a 50% discount on 50% of the gains so almost mirroring EU countries. Could always create losses to offset the gains.

It does not matter what your visa is, whether it is temporary or provisional or permanent. You are tax resident and therefore you are liable for tax on your worldwide income. A 457 visa holder is tax resident as well, but there is a concession for 457 visa holders in that they are not liable for tax on their worldwide income, but this concession does not apply to a person on the provisional partner visa.

You are subject to tax and I don't care who has told you otherwise, they must not be very good accountants. And it is not a grey area.

Anyone who makes losses just to get a tax credit, is daft. It is like turning down a payrise on the grounds of you would pay more tax. Did your accountant advise this as well?

Archived