Driving Licence Confusion WA

kaiser

Hi all. I hope someone can help me. I am a little confused about changing a UK Driving Licence to a WA licence. I am not sure which category I fall into. I passed my test in the UK in September this year (in readiness for coming over) so now hold a full licence but prior to that have held a provisional licence for a number of years - learning to drive on and off but that experience amounts to over 2 years. Do I fall into the Novice 1 or 2 category or full licence as I have held a licence for some time albeit provisional until September. I am totally confused by the Australia system. Any experience with this that anyone can share I would be most grateful for. Thank you in anticipation.

hello i am a little confused i am guessing you are in the UK at the min?

When i went to oz in 2011 all i did was go to the licencing center in Joondalup you pick what you want on a touch screen monitor in the entrance you will be then issues a ticket and you just wait until your number gets called go over to the lady she will ask you a few questions and ask you to do a quick eye test take your photo and your done.

It far quicker easier and cheaper to do it that way.

You will need to take your passport your English driving license and some kind of prof of your Australian address

(We went to westpac bank before we went there that is also in Joondalup and opened up our bank accounts and got them to print off a statement with are address on and walked up to the licensing center)

Hope this helps you

You will be able to get a full WA licence, but will need to drive on P plates, ie have a P sticker in your window and adhere to the rules of being a P plater.

You need to be on P plates until you have passed your two year anniversary of passing your test, I'm afraid the time spent with a provisional licence doesn't count.

Because you only passed a couple of months ago, you will need to be on the red P plate, after a certain time, not sure if its six months or a year you then progress onto the green P plates.

I am unsure of what restrictions the P plates come with. Zero alcohol is def one of them, I think there may also be certain times you are unable to drive eg after midnight until ??.

Archived