carpenter practical test

eammon

due to take the test in the summer would love to hear from anyone who has taken test or about to. like most carpenters i have spent a lot of years doing the same thing and not covering all aspects of the game. spent most of my time as formwork carpenter however i cant imagin that the test will be on that. please please get in touch if you have any imfo that may help.:err::unsure:

Guest lilly mist

Hey..

I know nothing of the test im sorry but i would also be intrested to know more about it as my hub is a carpenter also..

Anyone that can help?:huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi, my hubby is doing his practical test on Mon 7th April under joiner. He does all different stuff but mostly finishing work on new builds and fitting kitchens, and vetassess put him in a joiner, not carpenter!! So if you are definately carpenter I have the list here of SAMPLE activities 1.make a saw stool 2.Construct a number of different types of joints, for example a mortise and tenon joint and a brindle joint. 3.From designated specifications, set out pattern stud wall plates and identify scaffolding components. 4.Construct a pitch hip and gable roof.

A joiner has different tasks to carry out, but if you need these just let me know. This comes in the candidate guide.

You have to report to reception for 7.30am, and it goes on till 6.30pm(not sure if will still be same when you have it though).

As for tools it states you must bring basic personal protective equipment for your trade. Essential: Eye protection (goggles, glasses), foot protection (safety boots), hand protection(gloves), skin/body protection-protective clothing(gown,apron,overalls,high vis vests) (what goes with your trade I suspect) and Personal lock and tags (no idea).

Equipment states bring your tool kit, which should include both hand tools and power tools.

On the tools thing I have spoken to my agent, as very concerned how many tools joiners have, she contacted vetassess on the phone, and was informed that items shall be supplied, but from opinions from the first test, comments returned were people wished they had taken own tools. so think it a personal thing really.

Any way think that is everything, and hope this helps with your question, but you will receive all this also before your test ( we just got it on Tues two weeks before test, better late than never). If I can help further let me know and I will try my best.

Good luck when the time comes.

Andi.:spinny:

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi guys,

Feel kinda silly right now, sitting typing all that stuff out, but just remembered I had asked the same question last weekend, and Cathy and Paul kindly sent me a link to let me see the whole thing on the website, Its the stuff you will get to see in the end, so I will pass on what I know. Sorry again, but really new to all this stuff, just trying my best, also I have no idea how Cathy got you straight to the link, so will have to take you the long way round, but at least will give you a good read.

VETASSESS - Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services click on New-Trade skills assessment for migration, once in scroll down to - UK April 2008 Practical Assessments (after the dates bit) and click on Candidate Guide - UK. This will let you open the file that we have all received to give all info you will need.

Sorry once again, hope you can forgive me, I can only get better:notworthy:.

Take care, and good luck to all reading this who has tests coming up.

Andi.

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Thanks loads for the good wishes, it means alot to hear people wishing him good luck, this means the world to him(and us of course), so fingers crossed, and will definately keep everyone posted.

Andi.

Archived