Don't buy a 2nd hand car from........

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

THEY'RE tempting, mostly because they're cheap.

Who cares if there are a couple of cigarette burns on the back seat or scratches on the paint. You're saving thousands buying a used car, right?

But, as many unlucky people have found out, second-hand cars can be absolute 'lemons'.

Shona from the Sunshine Coast shared her second-hand car horror story.

"I bought a car and it was a lemon. Eventually after much repair work, [i took] it back to the loans officer ... and he said to look for a better car," Shona told news.com.au.

"He offered me another car. It worked for six months then the motor got a cracked head. I found out that the mechanic, the dealer, and the loans officer were all crooks and ripping off the poor car buyers to make money for themselves."

"I bought a used car some years ago," said Jessica. "The very next day it wouldn't start. The heads were cracked, the battery wiring was all wrong and the fuel pump was leaking. Then I found out the car was unroadworthy."

Becky's car didn't even make it that far. On the way home in her 'new' used car a wheel fell off and hit another car.

Erin's second-hand car purchase hit her hip pocket hard.

"We bought [a used car] and had our mechanic look it over. $3500 worth of repairs later, the car didn't even make it to the six month service before it broke down and wasn't worth the cost of fixing."

Can you trust your mechanic to spot a bad car for you?

But Erin's story is only too familiar. Recent research by CarHistory.com.au has shown that almost one in four used cars for sale in Australia could result in the unfortunate buyer paying on average more than $4,400 in repair costs after the car has been purchased.

A spokeswoman from CarHistory.com.au said customers are being urged to do their research before buying so they don't end up losing thousands of dollars.

"It's important to get an online history report and a mechanical inspection," she said. "The average cost of a used car is around $10,000, and a mechanical report only costs around $35. That's less than 1% of the cost, but could save you in the long run."

So how can you avoid the nasties and stop forking out thousands of dollars in mechanic bills?

CarHistory.com.au uncovered the riskiest places to buy a used car in Australia, looking at the private sales market, dealerships and auction houses.

The research found that Victoria took the title of the worst state, as home to five of the top ten riskiest areas to buy a car. Queensland was a close second with four regions in the top ten, and Tasmania took out just one region - except it was the worst in Australia.

SIGNS OF A 'LEMON' USED CAR

The study revealed the key signs of a risky car included cars that have been previously written off and patched up, had the odometer rolled back, have been reported as stolen, have been listed as a repairable write off, have money owing or have been flooded or storm damaged.

Used cars can be absolute lemons. How how can you smarten up your game of Russian roulette?

SO WHICH AREAS OF AUSTRALIA SHOULD YOU BE CAREFUL OF WHEN BUYING SECOND-HAND CARS?

1. West and North West of Tasmania

2. Ballarat, Victoria

3. North West Melbourne, Victoria

4. South Brisbane - Queensland

5. Townsville, Queensland

6. Shepparton, Victoria

7. Gold Coast, Queensland

8. Logan - Beaudesert, Queensland

9. Latrobe - Gippsland, Victoria

10. Hume, Victoria

But don't panic if you live near these regions, because according to the CarHistory.com.au spokeswoman, it's not about avoiding these regions all together, but exercising caution when purchasing.

"People are very trusting, and there are a lot of people out there who will take advantage of that trust.

And that's why smart people always buy used from the ACT. The toughest rego, no rust, best roads, and turned over more often. Ex Canberra resident owned a yard on the South Coast and advertised as ACT Used Cars. He couldn't get enough stock to keep up with demand. Became very rich he did!

Its the same with anything second hand - You take a chance..

We have never bought a brand new car and always had second hand. When buying and selling in the UK we always drove it around for a few weeks before selling it on and if it was a lemon it went to an auction stating it needed work,, so not all mechanics are bent or rip off merchants,lol..

Cal x

I recently bought a car (it was from a private seller) and when I picked it up, it wouldn't start, the body panels have rust holes in them, the fuel tank has a leak and the brakes don't even work!!!! and that is just what I have found so far.

I better get to work fixing my new project I suppose :)

I still think its the best $800 I ever spent.

Archived