Help please

The Broughtons

My husband currently holds his HGV Class 2 and will soon have his HGV Class 1. We've just read on Go Matilda that these are worthless in Oz and he will have to re-test. Is this true? Although we're going to Oz (hopefully) on my skills as a teacher, he would like to drive HGVs as he's spent the last 12 years in security. He thinks it would be a waste of time and money taking his class 1 here if he will have to take it again when we move.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

All help gratefully received :!:

Hiya

Dont if i willl be much help ,but i have read somewhere the skills aren't recognised on MODL,this dosnt go to say the qualifications aren't recognised in Oz ,you could maybe look up some haulage companys in the white pages and send them an e-mail explaining his qualifications and ask if he could go straight into the trade or if he would have to sit any tests.

If its the skills your worried about has he not done his SIA licencing etc in security ,you could do the same with security companys to see where he would stand,,

hope this helps

Cal x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi

Given that I'm dangerous in charge of a Golf, it is not surprising that I don't know anything about HGV qualifications!

There is a big push going on to try to get HGV-driving included as one of the skills for regional migration, definitely. Surely it is axiomatic that migrant drivers will not be in possession of the Australian qualifications for HGV-driving? If so, then do the Australians not have a way of recognising equivalent qualifications obtained elsewhere? Good God, they accept that from brain-surgeons as I understand it, so are you sure that you are asking the right question here? My impression is that it is the principle, rather than the ticket, which is the sticking-point on this issue?

Have you thought about posting this question on the General Queries section of the Go Matilda forum as well as on here? Alan Collett keeps his ear pretty close to to the ground with the negotiations that are going on out in Oz about this one, so he might be able to answer your question, my friends. Or to know a man who can.....

Are you able to explain what is different about the Australian qualification? Are the trucks dramatically different in some way?

Hope this might be of some use.

Best wishes

Gill

Ta for the responses guys and gals

The skills bit doesn't really matter cos I'm a teacher, it's just hubby wants to work at something he enjoys. We read somewhere on go matilda that truckers have to take another driving test cos hgv licenses aren't acknowledged but no-one there seemed to be able to confirm if this is the case.

Trucks and driving them is generally the same, ok so a few roads in melbourne are more complicated (the hook turn or something) but if car licenses are transferable why not trucks!!!

:roll:

Archived