What areas to live in Alice Springs?

GarethKatieandRhys

Hi, we are fairly new to the site and it is now coming to the point in our visa journey to start researching where to live in Alice Springs, which is where my job will be.

I have read some very mixed reports on Alice, ie the alcohol related crime, anti social behaviour displayed by the local undesirables so, could anyone give me a point in the right direction as to where to live which is suitable and safe for my young family and suitable for my position as a prison officer as I don't wish to mix/live in areas where the vast population of that area are former "guests" of a prison.

Are there any other people who are in ta similar position? ie either a prison/police officer moving to Alice or others in general moving to Alice looking for a bit of guidance?

Thanks in advance

The Gap is a place to most definitely avoid - do not let an estate agent talk you into looking at anything there. Also, Larapinta is not somewhere I would recommend.

Areas near the golf course are pretty nice (rents more expensive) and a lot of the American defense families live out that way, so security tends to be better. Old Eastside has good and bad parts. Alice really has lots of suburbs and you need to have a good look around, as there are issues in a lot of them.

The Alice is a complicated place. There are lots of problems that are mainly fueled by alcohol abuse. Whole generations are being destroyed and yet the bottle shops are open continuously. It is a very rich tourist town, but the poverty is the town camps is overwhelming.

Wherever you live in the Alice it is important to be safety conscious - it is unlike anything you would have seen in the UK. As a prison officer you will soon get to know the area and become aware of the local issues.

There are lots of young families in Alice and as it is a very transient town, the opportunity to meet new people is always present.

Edited by Sammy1

Hi

Thanks for your response, I was thinking where are the American forces living as they generally don't tolerate anti social behaviour (previous experience from being in the military myself and serving alongside them). You say the areas near the golf course, could you name a few areas, I will of course google map the area but it would be good to receive named areas. How do you find life in general in Alice? what is the family social scene like? (either visiting freinds for bbq etc) also are there places to go with the children (my son is 4 and my daughter is 6 months) for days out. What are the locations of the town camps? does their behaviour "spill over" into other areas or is it generally confined to the camps?

Sorry to bombard you with questions but feel these are things I need to know before we start looking.

Once again thank you.

Hi, we are fairly new to the site and it is now coming to the point in our visa journey to start researching where to live in Alice Springs, which is where my job will be.

I have read some very mixed reports on Alice, ie the alcohol related crime, anti social behaviour displayed by the local undesirables so, could anyone give me a point in the right direction as to where to live which is suitable and safe for my young family and suitable for my position as a prison officer as I don't wish to mix/live in areas where the vast population of that area are former "guests" of a prison.

Are there any other people who are in ta similar position? ie either a prison/police officer moving to Alice or others in general moving to Alice looking for a bit of guidance?

Thanks in advance

Good luck!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks in advance

Sorry this post is so long after your original. Have you moved across yet? I lived on the Golf course estate back in 2003 and the neighbourhood was very nice - not much trouble there. Several of our friends from the US base lived there and in the Eagle court area, kind of along the back of the golf course. Base housing is pretty scattered, but most of the senior military staff were in the golf course estate and lower ranked others were scattered around :) The main road of this estate is Cromwell Drive, and several roads lead off it. I would second not living in the Gap area. The housing around the end of Stevens drive is nice. Also Braitling, as long as north of Head Street, outer areas of Larapinta (Tmara mara circuit and around the primary school are OK) Eastside near St Philips College is also worth a look. (again several base houses there) Most rentals can be short term (6 months) so you can have a look around. All the best and I hope you enjoy Alice! (Just avoid the end of Todd Mall at bottle shop opening time) For us, the best place was out in Ilparpa, Greatorex road, where we bought a house, 1 hectare of space, friendly neighbours and great barbies by the firepits! Our kids went to Araluen Christian College which was a great intro to life in the bush.