Perth quarantine closing

justin27470

Gutted!

apparently they are closing the pet quarantine facility at/near Perth because of the risk of bush fire but they are not going to reopen it.

we have been told our dogs will have to go to Sydney and then be transported to Perth after the quarantine period .

total cost for two Labradors £10,000.

thanks!!

Hey Justin

You do know that the quarantine length has been reduced to 10 days for pets landing after 03rd February 2014, so the reduction in cost of the quarantine stay can go towards the internal flight.

My price estimate (and this is an estimate only)

2 x rabies work - £300

2 Labs to Sydney - £4000

2 x permits - £395

2 x pre travel vet work - £600

Quarantine stay - $1100 AUD - £647

Internal flight for your dogs from SYD to Perth - £1500

That has you spending around £7500. I know that is still a stack of money, but it is a lot less than £10k. Please fully note that these prices are approximations.

I cant tell if you have signed up with us or had quotes from us or not as we file things under the pets names.

I hope that helps and if you want a formal quote email me on bob@petairuk.com or fill out an online request form and we can help.

Bob

http://www.petairuk.com

Hi bob,

i wasn't aware of the changes in length of quarantine times.

i have had the dogs injections done for rabbies and the blood tests are due soon.

i have had a quote from pet transfur which is actually going to cost closer to £11,000 in total .

i will email you the details/sizes for Charlie and ebony and hopefully it might be a bit cheaper!

cheers

justin

To the OP.

We brought two labs over from the UK this year. Perth quarantine was also closed then due to bushfire risk so they had to go to Sydney.

We paid about 5,000 pounds for the both of them to get to Sydney so the 11,000 you are being quoted is way off the mark!!

We then saved more money by going to Sydney ourselves to pick them up. It's really easy to organise the internal flight, one quick call to the airline to get them booked on the same flight as you.

The dogs then are classed as luggage!! So you only pay per kg over your luggage allowance. Ie both our dogs are around 40kg and from memory we paid around $200 for them both.....so whatever that is in sterling!!

Add onto to that the return airfare and it worked out about half the price that we would have paid to an animal shipper.

Edited by fifi69

Justin - £5000 is cheap if it includes blood samples/vet work/permits/collect etc. If it is just the flight ticket and crates then £5000 is actually expensive. The key thing is what each quote includes.

I am not having a go at you, i am just posting this so that other people reading this thread understand the differences. I am making a sort of "compare pet shipping" document which i will post on here so that people who get quotes can accurately compare what is being included and what is not so they can get a true cost.

My 2 biggest messages to all pet shipping folk to Australia are: start the rabies work early, it will save you a fortune and save your pets a long time in kennels and to accurately compare the prices you get. Some shippers may seem expensive, but they may also offer the best value as they include the most. Some will look cheap, but by the time you add on the rest of the costs it is not such good value.

Once i have finished the "compare pet shipping costs" document i will post it up here. I hope it helps

Good morning BoB,

i fully understand what your saying and also understand the work involved , I just can't understand how I can ship a 5 bed house and a car for less money than two dogs!!

however, the email you sent me yesterday with your quote is better than the one I sent you so Sara (wifey) will be in touch.

regards

justin

I agree with you bob....I was saying 11,000 seemed excessive.

We used Golden Arrow, closest to home with a good price.

The 5,000 was the price that got them to Sydney. That was vet and rabies work, a few days pre flight kennelling, flights and crates.

on top of this was the quarantine charge...which is standard for everyone.

For the return airfare to Sydney and the excess baggage charge - which you won't know until the airline weighs them and you don't pay for until boarding, but you can rough estimate because the quarantine kennels will let you know their weight. That was $900 which I will take a guess is about 500/600 pounds..

My 3 quotes for Loui

1. crate measuring 120x61x 88cm. £2857.97

export customs entry

application for defra export health certificate

meet at heathrow

assisted check in

2. Crate measuring 120x61x86. £2704

import permit

defra export health certificate

worming, final insecticide treatment and health examination

Delivery to the airport

3 Crate measuring 115x51x85. £2966.01

Application of import/ export

10 days quarantine

shippers certificates

Vet sealing charges

customs clearance

£700 to pick up from glasgow to heathrow an then £850 from Sydney to Perth after quarantine and then the cost for vets so far £200 for rabies blood work and vaccination.

My 3 quotes for Loui

1. crate measuring 120x61x 88cm. £2857.97

export customs entry

application for defra export health certificate

meet at heathrow

assisted check in

2. Crate measuring 120x61x86. £2704

import permit

defra export health certificate

worming, final insecticide treatment and health examination

Delivery to the airport

3 Crate measuring 115x51x85. £2966.01

Application of import/ export

10 days quarantine

shippers certificates

Vet sealing charges

customs clearance

£700 to pick up from glasgow to heathrow an then £850 from Sydney to Perth after quarantine and then the cost for vets so far £200 for rabies blood work and vaccination.

was looking at that and thinking yeah ok..but 700 pounds pick up Glasgow to Heathrow ......someone is having a giraffe for sure...

is that your nearest shippers?

as I said we chose ones near to us. Never got a price for picking up, but cos our dogs flying out days landed near a UK public holiday, they were dropped off at the shippers and had a couple of days board...no extra charge

hi guys

loads of info and quotes. thanks!

I think I might of under estimated the cost

,especially with having two dogs.

the wife is looking into going to Sydney to collect them herself but I think that's an excuse for a couple of days away!

as soon as the house is sold we will begin the process.

Fifi I know we're going to be over 5grand easy, trying to cut it down a bit so might look at flying from heathrow and driving down with him myself and possibly picking him up in Sydney to..

Justin

have a proper look at your quotes as I assumed they were for the same service but each one different and changes the overall cost.

• 2 weeks later...
hi guys

loads of info and quotes. thanks!

I think I might of under estimated the cost

,especially with having two dogs.

the wife is looking into going to Sydney to collect them herself but I think that's an excuse for a couple of days away!

as soon as the house is sold we will begin the process.

Hello i have had a quote to fly my two collies from Sydney to Perth and it was £700 i have looked into the company and it all looks great and they pick up from the Sydney center 7 days a week That was with pet jets (an Australian company) I am going with pet air UK for everything else.