Hello from Yorkshire to Bunbury

Guest Pom

Hello everyone! anyone from the Bunbury area who wants to talk about moving here or who is already here? Ive been here 4 yrs and could do with a Brit to talk to! :jiggy:

Guest wardy

Hi Pom and welcome to PIO.

We are due to arrive in Perth in May not completely sure where we are settling yet but Bunbury looks great.

I know of someone who has just moved there from the UK and are loving it.

Do you think you made the right choice? :yes:

Hi Kaye! Yeah I reckon I did - I married an Aussie and we brought our kids with us, i miss my friends and family (esp my parents) SO much - but we have a lovely home here and we are 5 mins drive from the ocean - I dont miss the traffic jams of York but I miss shopping SO MUCH!!!!!!! Next, M&S, Tesco etc!! We couldnt have this life in York so its a toss up between staying loyal to my family or trying to improve our lifestyle - i reckon I will always miss the UK, its been 4 years now and it has gone so fast! I bet you cant wait, hey! There are real down times and then real highs, still adjusting I guess!

x

Guest wardy

Thats good that you feel you madet the right choice I have heard so many good things about Bunbury.

York is a lovely place I have many fond memories of a soldier at Imphal barracks :biglaugh:

my first love, and so many weekends spent there,and being in Newcastle now we often pop down for the day.

We are having a north meet up there in April should be fun.

Sorry you miss your parents it must be hard, I rarely get to see mine they now live in Spain but my dad has lived abroad since I was 10 and mum since I was 18 so that is not going to be an issue for me, which in all honesty I find pretty sad. They cant wait for us to move to australia as they plan to live with us for months at a time every year........... I think not :arghh:

My friends will be my biggest miss but they promise to visit and their kids are coming out for their gap years.

I'm not so sure I will miss the UK if i'm honest i never really felt like I belonged her despite living in many places i never really felt like I was totally comfortable.

speak soon

Yeah I think I did - like I say, one day its great the next I get very homesick and want to come back to York and blame my hubby (he said he couldnt live in the UK so I chose to come here), I know I shouldnt blame him it was my decision. I have to live with my decision because I really dont know if there is any 'going back'.

Ooo Errr - Imphal Barracks! lol - i used to work next door there at the cop shop - that was another thing, I had to leave my job there to come here :-((((

LOL - i know what you mean re your parents, my dad just spent 8 weeks here - god it was bloody hard. Great to have him but bloody hard work!!!

It sounds like you are set that this is a good think for you - I hope it all goes so well and yes, Bunbury is lovely. I wouldnt want to live anywhere else, I visit Perth a bit but its nice to get back to the peace and quiet. The town is fantastic lots of cafes, the beach, a couple of large shopping centres - nothing like the UK but you get used to it. The fashions are totally different too - my youngest started Kindy in Feb and one boy had his grandparents bring him - my hubby said 'I bet they are pomms' and yes, they were! we dress so differently to Aussies! Im still wearing my Next jeans etc from my visit to the UK in Dec 06!

Guest wardy

Its funny you should say that, when we were on holiday in brisbane we were having dinner in a restaurant Our waitress came over and said let me guess you are from the UK, we said yes how can you tell, she said its the way you dress everything matches and is coordinated.

we hadn't really thought about it when we got dressed it just happened :biglaugh:

To be honest I know you miss people but UK is not what is what and I don't mean the immigration to here fiasco, but everything its so crowded, and I know some say nothing has changed regarding crime, but it has there is so much more violence I don't mean fighting thats always happened, but with weapons and such.

There are some great kids here in the UK but they get no recognition every kid is tarred with the same brush I just don't see a future her for my lads and it really does sadden me, so I have to find somewhere that does offer a future.

I am not banking on Australia offering me this, but we have to try or I feel I will have not done the best by my boys.

God getting morbid now, I'm not normally like this

speak soon

LOL re the dress! haha its funny isnt it, im still the same!

Yeah my Mum tells me 'your better off where you are, there is so much crime here' but you get that old feeling that maybe the grass isnt greener, but hey ho!

I do believe the schooling is better here. My eldest has ADHD and in the UK at his particular school they didnt help just labelled him a 'naughty boy'. Here they have been wonderful. His is so blanaced now and just enjoying life. The Aussie lifestyle is so different. My youngest was 9 months old when we got here and the difference in the two is immense. My eldest is quiet and a little withdrawn but the youngest is so outgoing its unreal!

Hi! Wow a Bunburyite! How are you? 6 months, wow I remember my 6 month spell, I bet your head is still reeling you got here hey! sure, ille pm you, good to hear from you!

• 2 months later...
Guest susanmary38

Hi

We are in Queensbury, between Halifax & Bradford, going through the long visa process.

We had decided last year to move to Adelaide, but last week we were offered a job in Bunbury. we spent all week looking at web sites about Bunbury, it certainly looks a great place, how do you find it. Western Australia at first glance seamed too expensive for us, but after having a look, things look a bit more affordable in the south.

Things are moving very quickly now, might be there soon

Dave n Sue

Guest adey

We love it here and are friends with Kevin and DAwn and know they love it here also and their kids have both settled in really well to the laid back lifestyle Bunbury offers.

We are near to beautiful beaches and the wine region is on our door step. Life here is pretty slow paced and everyone is really friendly. The weather is beautiful and we coped extremely well with the very hot days over Chrissy and at the moment its 20 degrees outside but cold at night but its great to wake up to blue skies and sunshines most days but when it rains it pours and winter here is apparently quite wet hence living in the wine region. Local fruit/veg/meat is the same price as UK but very good quality and plentiful and we have a local farmers market which is brilliant and everything is straight from the local farms.

I got a job within two weeks of arriving and OH is here on a sponorship with a local employer.

Where are you going to be working?

Sarah

Guest susanmary38

Hi thanks for the reply, Bunbury sounds like a great spot to live & work, haven't heard one bad remark yet. We have been offered a job at a ballustrade company in Banbury business park, Halifax. How long have you been over there, & what do you both do for a living.

Dave n Sue.

We love it here and are friends with Kevin and DAwn and know they love it here also and their kids have both settled in really well to the laid back lifestyle Bunbury offers.

We are near to beautiful beaches and the wine region is on our door step. Life here is pretty slow paced and everyone is really friendly. The weather is beautiful and we coped extremely well with the very hot days over Chrissy and at the moment its 20 degrees outside but cold at night but its great to wake up to blue skies and sunshines most days but when it rains it pours and winter here is apparently quite wet hence living in the wine region. Local fruit/veg/meat is the same price as UK but very good quality and plentiful and we have a local farmers market which is brilliant and everything is straight from the local farms.

I got a job within two weeks of arriving and OH is here on a sponorship with a local employer.

Where are you going to be working?

Sarah

Guest adey

Halifax is about a five min drive from the CBD of Bunbury as are most places here its one of those towns where everything is pretty easy to get to and we live in Dalyellup and it takes us 15 mins max to get to work in the CBD. No traffic queues even though locals think the roads are busy, mmmmm definately not, we are shocked now when we see more than 10 cars at the traffic lights lol.

We've been here since October and we are still settling in and finding our way around. Take a look at this website it'll give you a general feel for the areas around here and we love going to Dunsborough and Margaret River on the weekends. Also take a look at Christian Fletchers website as he's a photographer based in Dunsborough and lots of his photo's are of local beaches/scenery.

MySouthWest - Western Australia's South West Business and Community Directory Portal Website and much more!

is the website we use to get ideas of where to visit and have had some pretty nice places to rent for weekends away. If you are into camping then this is the area to come to the campsites are very clean and organised and cost about $6 each to pitch your tent.

I work for a local mortgage brokers and OH works for a local civil engineering company.

Perth is just over a two hour drive away and will be quicker next year as they are building a new road to Perth at the moment.

Its a very chilled out quiet way of life here, totally different to Cardiff where we lived before coming here. We love the weekends and try to explore as much as we can and believe you me there is lots to explore and we have bought a 4x4 so we can get on those lovely bright orange tracks and see what's hiding from the main road.

Bunbury I think has the best of both worlds, a shopping area - plenty of what you need (except for good underwear but that's an Aussie wide problem), beaches, countryside, plenty of places to visit which are beautiful and within an hours drive and even more if you are willing to travel. The climate is like the med and we have cooler/wetter winters than Perth, but only about 2/3 degrees difference but can be windy here at times but you'll be grateful for it in the summer. Lots of houses being built, free bbq's at the beach and in the parks, lots of parks in the housing estates and best of all you don't have to lock yourselves away from the cold for 9 months of the year.

Its not all a bed of roses but as long as you embrace the fact that its not going to be like the UK and its not then you'll be fine. People here are friendly and very helpful and have a different attitude to those at home, but maybe that's because the sunshines alot more or its just that its all so new we don't see the real picture yet and haven't got bored of it yet - dunno.

The sun can be quite fierce so you always have to cover up as it stings you rather than burns you if that makes sense, it will when you get here. But they are good with kids and have to wear sunny hats in school and put on suncream but it just becomes the norm and didn't wear it one day as I forgot and sat in the sun for about 10 mins and burnt myself pretty badly but didn't feel it until much later and wow I sure did a good job of it.

House prices have fallen since last year as the boom is now well and truly over.

We love it here but it may not be for everyone as it is pretty quiet, but we find Perth is a very quiet city as well and think we made the best choice coming down south and pop to Perth to visit friends but otherwise to be honest don't think we'd go there very often.

Sarah

Guest susanmary38

Hi Sarah n Adey

Great reply & loads of info, the kind of reply that installs confidence.

As we said we were looking at Adelaide, but think Bunbury would be a much better place to settle. Could be in touch re the mortgage broker part, but we will be renting for a short while until we find our feet. Once again thanks for the reply, keep in touch.

Dave N Sue

Halifax is about a five min drive from the CBD of Bunbury as are most places here its one of those towns where everything is pretty easy to get to and we live in Dalyellup and it takes us 15 mins max to get to work in the CBD. No traffic queues even though locals think the roads are busy, mmmmm definately not, we are shocked now when we see more than 10 cars at the traffic lights lol.

We've been here since October and we are still settling in and finding our way around. Take a look at this website it'll give you a general feel for the areas around here and we love going to Dunsborough and Margaret River on the weekends. Also take a look at Christian Fletchers website as he's a photographer based in Dunsborough and lots of his photo's are of local beaches/scenery.

MySouthWest - Western Australia's South West Business and Community Directory Portal Website and much more!

is the website we use to get ideas of where to visit and have had some pretty nice places to rent for weekends away. If you are into camping then this is the area to come to the campsites are very clean and organised and cost about $6 each to pitch your tent.

I work for a local mortgage brokers and OH works for a local civil engineering company.

Perth is just over a two hour drive away and will be quicker next year as they are building a new road to Perth at the moment.

Its a very chilled out quiet way of life here, totally different to Cardiff where we lived before coming here. We love the weekends and try to explore as much as we can and believe you me there is lots to explore and we have bought a 4x4 so we can get on those lovely bright orange tracks and see what's hiding from the main road.

Bunbury I think has the best of both worlds, a shopping area - plenty of what you need (except for good underwear but that's an Aussie wide problem), beaches, countryside, plenty of places to visit which are beautiful and within an hours drive and even more if you are willing to travel. The climate is like the med and we have cooler/wetter winters than Perth, but only about 2/3 degrees difference but can be windy here at times but you'll be grateful for it in the summer. Lots of houses being built, free bbq's at the beach and in the parks, lots of parks in the housing estates and best of all you don't have to lock yourselves away from the cold for 9 months of the year.

Its not all a bed of roses but as long as you embrace the fact that its not going to be like the UK and its not then you'll be fine. People here are friendly and very helpful and have a different attitude to those at home, but maybe that's because the sunshines alot more or its just that its all so new we don't see the real picture yet and haven't got bored of it yet - dunno.

The sun can be quite fierce so you always have to cover up as it stings you rather than burns you if that makes sense, it will when you get here. But they are good with kids and have to wear sunny hats in school and put on suncream but it just becomes the norm and didn't wear it one day as I forgot and sat in the sun for about 10 mins and burnt myself pretty badly but didn't feel it until much later and wow I sure did a good job of it.

House prices have fallen since last year as the boom is now well and truly over.

We love it here but it may not be for everyone as it is pretty quiet, but we find Perth is a very quiet city as well and think we made the best choice coming down south and pop to Perth to visit friends but otherwise to be honest don't think we'd go there very often.

Sarah

Guest creakybones

Hi can anyone tell me if there are any laboratories around Bunbury. Hoping to move to Oz in Sept but not sure where in Perth i actually want to go. Also Oh is a matal roofer and forklift driver do you think he will be able to find work?

Thanks for any info

Maria

Guest adey

Bunbury Pathology is a laboratory and we have two large hospitals here, depends what type of laboratory you are looking for work in. Try the local recruitment agencies as that's where the majority of employers look for staff but alot of jobs down here are word of mouth. Plenty of metal roofs here as nearly everyone has them, you can tell the POMS by the tiled roofs (apparently) and plenty of industrial sites so assume jobs for fork lift drivers.

Hi there, new to this thinking of moving to Bunbury got interview next week for St John of God Hospital any advice what the hospital like? Bunbury looks fantastic and hope I get the job. I have already got a job in Perth but coming from a small Scottish town on the coast, I think Bunbury will be just what we are looking for.

any advice would be great

Sandie

Hi there, new to this thinking of moving to Bunbury got interview next week for St John of God Hospital any advice what the hospital like? Bunbury looks fantastic and hope I get the job. I have already got a job in Perth but coming from a small Scottish town on the coast, I think Bunbury will be just what we are looking for.

any advice would be great

Sandie

Its a fairly new hospital (private) think its about 3 years old and has a very good reputation. It is a five minute drive from the main CBD and we live in Dalyellup and its a five minute drive from us so its pretty central for the area.

We love living in Bunbury and glad we decided to come here rather than the big city as we wanted to escape the 100mph lifestyle and traffic jams in the mornings/afternoons. It literally takes us 15 mins from door to door to get to work in the morning its great.

Feel free to ask anymore questions

Sarah

Guest creakybones

Hi Sarah

Do you have labs other than hospitals as I qualified as a forensic scientist but I'm currently working for an environmental company, so I would like to stay in this area or move to a food testing lab.

Also is there enough going on to keep two teenagers busy?

Its a fairly new hospital (private) think its about 3 years old and has a very good reputation. It is a five minute drive from the main CBD and we live in Dalyellup and its a five minute drive from us so its pretty central for the area.

We love living in Bunbury and glad we decided to come here rather than the big city as we wanted to escape the 100mph lifestyle and traffic jams in the mornings/afternoons. It literally takes us 15 mins from door to door to get to work in the morning its great.

Feel free to ask anymore questions

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thank you for the reply, it has put my mind at ease and has helped us decide that if offered the job that we will be coming to Bunbury. It is really good that people like yourself are sharing your information and experiences of Bunbury to help others.

Will have loads more questions for you if successful on Wednesday you'll wish you had not put feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks again be in touch soon

Sandie

Hi Sarah

Do you have labs other than hospitals as I qualified as a forensic scientist but I'm currently working for an environmental company, so I would like to stay in this area or move to a food testing lab.

Also is there enough going on to keep two teenagers busy?

Bunbury Pathology is based just outside of the CBD not sure about other labs as not my field . If your boys are the outdoor types then I'm sure they'll find plenty in Bunbury as its very sports orientated here.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thank you for the reply, it has put my mind at ease and has helped us decide that if offered the job that we will be coming to Bunbury. It is really good that people like yourself are sharing your information and experiences of Bunbury to help others.

Will have loads more questions for you if successful on Wednesday you'll wish you had not put feel free to ask more questions!

Thanks again be in touch soon

Sandie

No worries good luck for Wednesday hope its everything you want and you get to move to Oz x

Guest dibdobs

Hi Sarah, I really love reading your posts. I have spent today speaking to my vet, trying to find the perfect home for our poor old dog. It has made me feel really sad. Reading the things you say about Oz makes me feel that we are definately making the right decison. I can't wait to feel the Bunbury air ! We should make you the oficial Bunbury spokes person ! lol

Hi Sarah, I really love reading your posts. I have spent today speaking to my vet, trying to find the perfect home for our poor old dog. It has made me feel really sad. Reading the things you say about Oz makes me feel that we are definately making the right decison. I can't wait to feel the Bunbury air ! We should make you the oficial Bunbury spokes person ! lol

Thanks, I try to help people as we had so many questions before we got here and weren't sure what Bunbury was like until we got here. Its very quiet if you are from a big city but that's what we love about it. Tons of development happening over the next few years, waterfront like Mandurah, lots more houses etc.

How old is your dog as ours is 10 this September and that's why we originally rehoused her but once we got here we realised she'd cope with it all and we brought her over a couple of months ago so she's climatised ready for the summer. She has had a new lease of life and coped really well with the flight and quarantine.

SArah

Hi Sarha

Just had fantastic news after a long 5 days got the job at Bunbury hospital so it looks like we will be over by the end of the year if not before (agent said maybe October if everything goes to plan).

Can t believe it! Just medicals and police checks needed as we are coming over on 457 visa, can t wait to be in Bunbury especially at moment as weather is terrible here.

So get ready for my many questions if you don't mind

Also I have a German Sherpherd coming she will be 2years old, concered about her more than anything i.e. separation, quarantine and renting a house to start with, any advice as you mentioned you brought your dog out, did you have any problems?

Kind regards

Sandie

Archived