What do I NEED to know when buying used car in Melbourne?

LadyCroft

I have been looking at used cars online and there are a few things confusing me such as some cars are "drive away" price and others need a road worthy cert etc. It has made me worry about being ripped off buying a used car and being a brand new immigrant they might see coming... What do I need to know/do/take with me before getting into buying a car. They will all know as an immigrant that I will be desperate to buy a car asap so I fear being ripped off.

THanks for your words of wisdom as always.

It was our experience that people are actually more honest in Australia re car sales .Actually a lot more! Maybe we have just been lucky. The seller should produce the road worthy not the buyer- otherwise you can't drive it away. Also you need to organise an insurance note before you drive off. You can get an RACV /RACQ or whatever check if you are buying privately rather than through a dealer ( in case it has been pinched) If it was me I would go through a big reputable dealer for the first time because they offer guarantees and help with the paperwork and finance if you want it. Often you can get a good buy with demo models or just superseded models. Be careful of the car auctions unless you have a mechanic with you!

Great thanks. Didn't know about the 30 days thing with the RWC.

We have decided just to stick with buying from a dealer for our first car here. We have enough to deal with and budget for without ending up with an old banger that we can't even get on the road. Great thanks.

Archived