Need advice about setting up base to explore Australia

YearLongHoliday

Me and my wife are retired. We just got our PR to stay in Australia. We are planning a year long holiday to get to know Australia starting from Apr 2014. We intending to visit whole of Australia during this initial year. Then we can decide better where we want to retire. We really need some advice to help with our planning for the initial year.

1) Which city would provide a best place to set up a base for our exploration? Sydney? Melbourne? or there is there a better location elsewhere?

2) Would it be cheaper to buy cheap furnishing (eg ikea) or to rent? Intention is to start 100% fresh after the 1st year.

3) Are the reputable shops to get used electronic appliances (eg: TV, fridge, microwave etc)? or should I rent them?

4) Or would it be cheaper to get a fully furnished apartment and not worry about buying furnishing and appliances?

5) Similarly for the 1st year, is it cheaper to rent/lease a car or just buy a second hand car and sell it a year later?

6) Is there any other things I should worry about?

They have Radio Rentals here and I looked at getting some stuff from them, you have to sign a minimum of a 18 month contract with them on their rentals. I then looked at how much it would cost to buy the item and for what it would cost to rent the thing for 18 months you could have brought it for less money.

Go to the "Good Guys" they sell electronic items, just like Dixons or Currys, there is one big difference in Australia. You can barter here! Yes just like you are buying a carpet in a Moroccan bazar!

Anything over $200 if it does not need to be scanned, you can barter money off!

So we brought a washing machine and fridge for $2050, including extended warranty and delivery.

List price

Washing machine $950

Fridge $1449

Warranty wm $ 120

warranty f $150

Delivery $75

Not a bad little saving eh.

But everything gets knocked down "What's your best price on that?" saves you money.

It also makes me doubt what anything is worth here, I mean how can I tell the value of things if everything is bartered for?

So now buying online actually costs you money as you can go into the shop and barter money off.

Oh and buy all your clothes or computers from America as they are cheaper, harder wearing and you can have $999 of goods sent to you before you have to pay any tax on that.

I would probably look at setting up base in Queensland - going to be cheaper than Sydney or Melbourne. Not too many furnished places for rent here - only usually short term ones. Will be cheaper to buy - you can get great deals for secondhand stuff on gumtree etc. I would also buy a car - much cheaper than renting/leasing. You mentioned selling after a year - do you intend to leave Australia after your year's holiday?

I have just done what you are wanting to do - I set up base in Brisbane for a year; I worked out it was better to buy basic goods than buy or rent them, or get a furnished apartment, given that I didn't know where I would be at the end of the year. I rented an unfurnished small apartment. got a blow up bed, and various bits and pieces. I ended up buying a washing machine and bar fridge - regret buying the washing machine in retrospect. Lots of bargains on gumtree. You might also want to consider pet sitting - a friend of mine does this full-time and is rarely without anywhere to live. Bear in mind that leases are generally 6 months. But these were the cheapest renting options I found.

Brisbane might be an option if you like the warm weather. You can go up to the far North and down South into NSWales easily from there. If you like the Outback maybe Adelaide? Melbourne is good if you like the cooler climates- easy to get to beautiful Tasmania and Victoria itself of course, probably the most cosmopolitan state. Reasonable drive to South NSWales coast ,too.

Archived