WA to Brisbane..where to start!!

scotsmum

So after living in perth for 2 years we have been offered the chance to move to Brisbane!! Just looking for advice from anyone who has made a similar move...what did u like about Brisbane/miss about perth?? Also looking for advice on where to start looking for a house, ideally we would like somewhere family friendly as my daughter will be starting school, and probably max of 30 mins from cbd?? Hoping to get house with a pool if poss :biggrin:

thanks!!

Hey, Scotsmum, I'm another Scot that's made the move from Perth to Brisbane... rather than risk sounding like a broken down record, here are a couple of threads I've contributed to that may offer some useful advice. Lots of people with different ideas as to where the best suburbs are. That of course is a very individual preference, where might you /your husband be working? As for house with pool...rarely see then come up but that may just be due to the areas I search in and/ my budget.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/195470-perth-brisbane.html

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/queensland/179076-help-brisbane-suburbs.html

Good luck with the move.

nats

So after living in perth for 2 years we have been offered the chance to move to Brisbane!! Just looking for advice from anyone who has made a similar move...what did u like about Brisbane/miss about perth?? Also looking for advice on where to start looking for a house, ideally we would like somewhere family friendly as my daughter will be starting school, and probably max of 30 mins from cbd?? Hoping to get house with a pool if poss :biggrin:

thanks!!

Hi scotsmum, wish you well in your move, though I do not know Perth people I know whom have come across say Brisbane is a larger version of Perth. Our daughter got married this year to a Perth army man and he says similar too, so you should feel comfortable about the move. When do you move? what work are you in? have you researched any areas to live in? Northlakes and Mango Hill on the north side appear to be big draws for Poms but no rail yet and a bit of a slog in and out of the CBD

We live on the bayside of Brisbane in the suburb of Thornlands, this is some 40min from CBD but 5min from train station in Cleveland, but we are selling soon as we are down-sizing and have just bought a house in the next suburb of Victoria Point, we will be renting out this property for some 6 months whilst we prepare our current house for sale early in the new year.

Keith & Linda

Thanks for the replies...my head is spinning with all the planning!!!!:chatterbox: Nat I had actually found one of those threads last night and it was great...I'll be on the rental site tonight...gotta start looking at schools too...good to know uv made the same move and enjoying it!!!

keith and Linda we will be moving jan/February so my wee one is ready for school...hubby will be starting a recruitment company so can work from home in the begining but will need to commute to cbd once office is established, I work with Salvation Army so there's lots of options for me so I'm not fussed about the commute. In perth we are about 20 mins by train to cbd so ideally would like something similar... My parents live in toowong so would also be nice to be sorta close to them!!!

Well I better get back to my research.....thanks again!

• 1 month later...

Hi there, we've lived in both cities and overall I prefer Brisbane for it's proximity and stuff to do. Perth has the better beaches close to the city. It's cheaper to live here in Brisbane too and it's not dominated by the mining industry like Perth.

We live in Bridgeman Downs, North of the city and my husband gets the bus to the city for work, it takes about 35 minutes. I have 3 young kids and my 7 year old will be in Grade 2 at Albany Creek SS next year and I can't recommend the school enough, it's fantastic. I also run a Facebook Mums group if you want to look us up, we meet regularly. It's called Brisbane Northside Mums.

Good luck with the move and if you need anything else please shout, always happy to help.

Thanks madcatjane! i was just reading an old post of yours about eatons hill as we have been looking around that area as the houses look quite nice there! I have my daughter enrolled in a kindy program near my mums house in toowong until we know where we will be living, the time just seems to be flying in!! I will go and look up the facebook page now as i am keen to try and meet some other mums and kids for the wee one to play with as soon as possible! Thanks for your help, i might be back on to you with another hundred questions haha!!

Hi there, we've lived in both cities and overall I prefer Brisbane for it's proximity and stuff to do. Perth has the better beaches close to the city. It's cheaper to live here in Brisbane too and it's not dominated by the mining industry like Perth.

We live in Bridgeman Downs, North of the city and my husband gets the bus to the city for work, it takes about 35 minutes. I have 3 young kids and my 7 year old will be in Grade 2 at Albany Creek SS next year and I can't recommend the school enough, it's fantastic. I also run a Facebook Mums group if you want to look us up, we meet regularly. It's called Brisbane Northside Mums.

Good luck with the move and if you need anything else please shout, always happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scotsmum - it sounds like you have moved from the other side of the world once so this short hop should be a piece of cake for you ;)

My advice is to get a general idea of where you want to be from the internet as others have suggested http://www.realestate.com.au can be your friend.

But either stay in temporary accommodation so that you can get a feel for the place or get a relocation agent to view houses on your behalf before you arrive (assuming you will rent to begin with). Generally the pictures of rentals on the websites are old and don't give you the whole picture unless it is a new build.

I moved into a place on the western suburbs (Chapel Hill, Kenmore) with great schools nearby - and a short distance from the CBD. Depends how close to the beaches you want to be though as from here it is at least an hour.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks

Shelley