Questions for applying for 457 Visa from 417 visa

neilus

Hi I have been looking through this forum for a while now and finally decided to ask some questions to get an idea on sponsorship.

a bit of backstory

I came over to Australia in early December 2012 on the 419 Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa, this visa allows me to stay here for a year but i can only work with each employer for a maximum of 6 months.

In March of this year I started working in a Private College in regional Queensland Working in ICT, after 4 months my employer decided they were happy with my work and so they started the process of sponsoring me.

They have decided to process this case themselves rather than deal with an immigration agent.

They registered to become a sponsor for the 457 visa on the 14th of August ( I don't know if they put in the Nomination of the position yet but I don't believe they have)

On the 20th of September I finished up working for the employer as per my Visa Restrictions.

On the 17th of October the Employer had the case opened by an immigration officer, they requested additional information and this was submitted on the 21st of October.

My question is that, I have been advised by people that I could apply for a bridging visa to get me back to work, is this true and if so what do I need to do this?

How do I go about apply for the visa myself? I have registered on SkillSelect, however I noticed on reading through it that I don't need to do that as I already have an employer looking to sponsor me. Is there somewhere else I need to go to apply for the visa?

For the Nomination of Position can the employer lodge that before they have been approved to become a sponsor. And once they have lodged that is there anything I do to get back to work, as I have been out of work 5 weeks now and this is starting to seriously affect the employers business.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone here can give me.

It is not a bridging visa you need, it is the restriction around 6 months with one employer that you need to be lifted.

Bridging visas cannot be applied for on a standalone basis, they are tied to a "normal" visa application and only kick in when the current visa expires.

Hi I have been looking through this forum for a while now and finally decided to ask some questions to get an idea on sponsorship.

a bit of backstory

I came over to Australia in early December 2012 on the 419 Working Holiday (Temporary) Visa, this visa allows me to stay here for a year but i can only work with each employer for a maximum of 6 months.

In March of this year I started working in a Private College in regional Queensland Working in ICT, after 4 months my employer decided they were happy with my work and so they started the process of sponsoring me.

They have decided to process this case themselves rather than deal with an immigration agent.

They registered to become a sponsor for the 457 visa on the 14th of August ( I don't know if they put in the Nomination of the position yet but I don't believe they have)

On the 20th of September I finished up working for the employer as per my Visa Restrictions.

On the 17th of October the Employer had the case opened by an immigration officer, they requested additional information and this was submitted on the 21st of October.

My question is that, I have been advised by people that I could apply for a bridging visa to get me back to work, is this true and if so what do I need to do this?

A bridging visa is granted once you lodge a valid application for a visa (such as the 457) onshore. A bridging visa will not help your situation as your 417 will continue to be valid.

How do I go about apply for the visa myself? I have registered on SkillSelect, however I noticed on reading through it that I don't need to do that as I already have an employer looking to sponsor me. Is there somewhere else I need to go to apply for the visa?

SkillSelect is irrelevant to your situation.

For the Nomination of Position can the employer lodge that before they have been approved to become a sponsor.

Yes. They must lodge a nomination application before you can lodge the visa application.

And once they have lodged that is there anything I do to get back to work, as I have been out of work 5 weeks now and this is starting to seriously affect the employers business.

There is a process to apply for an extension of work rights once you have lodged the 457 visa application. It is unlikely to help however as they can take longer than the visa application to process.

The best advice to speed up processing would be to do the applications correctly the first time. The fact that the company has been requested to provide further documents and not yet lodged the nomination seems to suggest that they do not really know what they are doing and thus slowing down the process.

If speed is of the essence, trying to quickly learn the process to do it yourself may not be the best strategy.

Thanks for the quick responses, it points me in a direction where I can take some action myself at least.

Aba once they have lodged the nomination application, I can apply for the 457 visa. Does that mean i can go back to work right away?

I am checking with them now to see if they have lodged the nomination request, i will update here again shortly.

also is there any adverse effects to completing both steps now, ie apply for the work extension even if it takes time, and getting the position nomination put up and applying for the visa.

Thats ok, at least now i know.The Employer has just put in the nomination of position, I am about to put in my visa request then i will fill out the work extension form and send it through and hopefully it will get processed relatively soon.Thanks for the help in answering my questions

Archived