19 year old car insurance?

Leeds123

In England I am paying around 1500 pound and my first year of driving I payed over 3000 and I only have a peugeot 206 1.4. What would I be looking at paying over in say nsw around the Wollongong area? Also is there a limit of power you can have because in England I can't insure anything over a 1.8 petrol.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, each state is different. Insurance can vary dramatically. You could go on your parents policy and it won't cost you anything, although if you have an accident the excess is around $2000. My eldest around the same age as you has just come off my insurance now and taken out his own and is paying $89 per month.

I am not sure how long you have been driving so don't know if you will be on P's once you get here or if you will have a full license. If you are on P's then you will be limited and can't drive any High Performance Vehicles.

The vehicles listed as 'Prohibited Vehicles' are high performance vehicles for the purposes of Clause 32 and may not be driven by the holder of a provisional licence. These vehicles are in addition to the prohibited vehicles that have eight or more cylinders or are turbo or supercharged.

The vehicles listed as 'Exempted Vehicles' are not high performance vehicles for the purposes of clause 32 and may be driven by the holder of a provisional licence.

Novice Driver - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions

[h=3]P1/P2 licence holders are also restricted from driving the following 6-cylinder vehicles:[/h]

• BMW M, M3 and Z4.

• Honda NSX.

• Nissan 350Z and 370Z (including private or 'grey' import variants eg. Infiniti G35, Infiniti G37, Skyline 350GT (V35), Skyline 370GT (V36)).

• All Porsches from 1994 models onwards (except diesel).

• Mercedes Benz SLK350.

[h=3]Exempted vehicles:[/h]

• All turbocharged or supercharged diesel powered vehicles.

• Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (1/01/1992 - 1/12/1997).

• Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (1/10/2003- ).

• Smart vehicles (all models).

Car insurance is one of few things (others being Petrol, Haircuts, Sport) that is cheaper in Australia. I always had really high insurance costs in the UK despite having no accidents. I insured myself and my learner driver girlfriend here in victoria for only $350... The company I used dont give no claim discounts just cheap policies to everyone.

Archived