gold coast central

we have just got to broadbeach and we are looking for light minded older couples who like a laugh and a drink

Hiya BlackpoolPom, which part of Blackpool you from? We aren't coming over till next June but love a laugh and a drink hee....

Define older...we are in our early 40's and most days in the cold bleak winter of Blackpool feel old..er although i'm sure youd agree....in reality age is a number:jiggy:x

• 1 month later...

Well, this is the first time I've been on this forum since moving to OZ nearly 4 years ago. Its only because I got notification of a response to a thread I'd been on that I came on here, and the first thing I saw was a response from a Blackpool Pom!

We moved here from St Annes nearly 4 years ago (lived in Blackpool for many years though) and live in Benowa, not far from Broadbeach. There is a fairly healthy ex pat scene here, where we enjoy lots of get togethers and nights/events out, as well as a group specifically for the ladies that do coffee, events and stuff.

Where abouts are you all from in Blackpool anyway, and schools you went to, as I think we're all round about the same age ;-) If any of you wish to add me on facebook, search me under julie cary. My profile is 2 children. Feel free to have a chat and look forward to perhaps meeting up for one of those sneeky drinks and a laugh, that you dont really get from the aussies!! :-)

Julie

Well, this is the first time I've been on this forum since moving to OZ nearly 4 years ago. Its only because I got notification of a response to a thread I'd been on that I came on here, and the first thing I saw was a response from a Blackpool Pom!

We moved here from St Annes nearly 4 years ago (lived in Blackpool for many years though) and live in Benowa, not far from Broadbeach. There is a fairly healthy ex pat scene here, where we enjoy lots of get togethers and nights/events out, as well as a group specifically for the ladies that do coffee, events and stuff.

Where abouts are you all from in Blackpool anyway, and schools you went to, as I think we're all round about the same age ;-) If any of you wish to add me on facebook, search me under julie cary. My profile is 2 children. Feel free to have a chat and look forward to perhaps meeting up for one of those sneeky drinks and a laugh, that you dont really get from the aussies!! :-)

Julie

Hi Jules,

Great to hear from another Blackpool Pom, I'll definitely check out the Face book pages Thanks for the info.

Hubby and I are both Sand grown :) and went to school locally. I went to Greenlands High School and Dominic went to St Marys High School. We live of Whitegate Drive at the mo and are very excited and nervous about moving too...any tips?

We both work at Victoria Hospital in Nursing, how about you?

Our children are 16 and 14 and are looking forward to settling in too...

We will definitely be up for a sneeky drink and a laugh too, do the aussies not do Northern humour??!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

I went to Palatine/knowle high but wanted to go to greenlands as I was a gymnast and they had a great gym team, but I didn't get in as my first choice! If your my age (just turned 45) then we'll probably know some people as some of my friends went there.

Where are you looking at moving to over here? Have you been before? My hubby and I had been a few times and one time just drove round and round looking at places, houses, schools, so when we were ready to move, we knew exactly where we wanted to be, which was definitely helpful. We love where we live in Benowa as its really central to everything.

Do you have jobs sorted for when you arrive? I'm sure you'll know that the new Gold Coast hospital has just opened. At least the pound has picked up. I'm gutted as we changed the last of our money a coup,e of months ago when it hit 1.62. It's now nearly 1.9.

Anyway, if you need any more info, give me a shout. And no, the Aussies don't get our seance of humour!

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Julie we are moving over at the beginning of July...we land on the 3rd july! Getting a little bit nervous now, but id be more worried if we werent a little bit apprehensive lol!

We came over last feb for a month and had a really good look round and are staying with my sister for a few months till we are sorted with jobs and the children have settled into school...

We would love to catch up as we will definitely need to meet people who enjoy a good laugh and beer or three lol!

Im in the process of looking for jobs and organising moving our belongings....its all go! Im also trying to write up my Masters dissertation so i'll deserve a flippin rest when we first land! :)

Another Blackpool lass looking at moving over to GC in 2015 though!

My hubby and I met at school - Montgomery and for some reason we are attracted to the GC. I always wondered if it was the 'Blackpool' in is that was attracting us to the most similar place in Australia! I must admit I have a love hate relationship with Blackpool (hence not actually being there at the present). Hubby and I grew up in Bispham right behind Norbreck Castle!

Lovely to keep in touch with you both. Think you and I have spoke before Sam briefly! x

• 2 weeks later...
Another Blackpool lass looking at moving over to GC in 2015 though!

My hubby and I met at school - Montgomery and for some reason we are attracted to the GC. I always wondered if it was the 'Blackpool' in is that was attracting us to the most similar place in Australia! I must admit I have a love hate relationship with Blackpool (hence not actually being there at the present). Hubby and I grew up in Bispham right behind Norbreck Castle!

Lovely to keep in touch with you both. Think you and I have spoke before Sam briefly! x

Hey, it probably is the love/hate thing about Blackpool that attracts us to the Gold Coast! Before moving here, we'd been to Australia 3 times, did Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Cairns, and came back each time with no real desire to move to Australia, but as soon as we landed in the Gold Coast, we knew it was for us and moved here 6 months later. Still have the same love/hate thing with Surfers like Blackpool, but you cant beat a bit of Rumours and Brannigans type places now and again lol

YOu should join this site for lots of meet ups and get togethers. https://www.facebook.com/groups/brits.on.the.gold.coast/

You can both add me on face book if you like and if you have any quieries along the way, just give me a shout and we can chat when you're here. I'm under Julie Cary. My profile is my 2 kids I think!

Have fun and hope to meet up soon.

Julie

Archived