Temporary Partner Visa Limitations regarding work / study

audre

Hello lovely PIO people

Once again I would appreciate your thoughts on a certain migration dilemma! Namely, I am wondering about the temporary 2 year Partner Visa restrictions - especially for someone in the academic world. For instance, I know that the Migration booklet states we cannot undertake study until we are granted PR! However, how does this work with getting research grants (e.g. postdoctoral research positions tenable up to 3 years, giving a grant or a salary?) I assume the University would ideally accept my valid visa but I am wondering if I will encounter any issues with this particular work context!

If anyone has any tips regarding restrictions on a temporary visa or academically inclined advice, I would be grateful!

Cheers and thanks for your help as always! :biggrin:

I think you may need to read the booklet again. The first-stage visa (provisional rather than temporary) has no study or work restrictions I think, other than no Commonwealth fee help is available.

Are you confusing the part where it talks about the conditions of your previous visa remaining in force until your provisional visa is granted? (Although the rules on this changed about a year ago)

I cannot imagine that the visa terms will go into things like availability of research grants, that sounds like more of an education /research grant policy matter than a visa matter. Why not just ask the appropriate body.

good points! i think page 34 and the term AuStudy got me confused but yes, you are both right! so basically I am not entitled to financial help during my studies on this temporary visa (the term used in booklet is temporary 2 yrs)...will definitely ask, just needed a bit of clarification!

On a temporary partner visa, you can work and study. However, for study you will count as an overseas student until your PR comes through. That means higher fees. Some employers don't employ people on temporary visas, and the Australian Government does not usually employ non citizens. But that is their own choice, not because of visa restrictions. Have no idea about research grants, sorry.

Archived