3 months in Oz...best way to take money?

Guest thegrahames

Guest thegrahames

Hello

We are going on a 3 month rekkie 7th April and need to bring money over to buy a car/caravan or motorhome to use for touring. What is the best way to go about this? We were going to use visa debit cards or credit cards (drawn on UK bank) for day to day expenses but we need to take over alot over for the transport and don't know the best way to get a good rate - has anyone got any ideas?

Viks

Guest Pinhead

If you're sending over a significant amount the best thing to do is open an account in oz before you go & use a currency company like Hifx to transfer cash from your UK account to our oz account.

This is what I did with my CBA account.

You can usually arrange to collect an ATM card for your account on arrival at a specified branch.

I wouldn't use UK credit cards for things unless you have to you get killed on the forex rate.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Dont forget that you can take cash into Oz, not sure of the exact amount you can "legally" take. Im sure that someone will tell you.

We took over $25000 in cash wehn we arrived which was over the limit. We declared it , filled in the money form and all was ok!

Guest JoanneHattersley
Im pretty sure you can bring a maximum of 10grand in cash with you,,what im not certain about is if thats uk sterling or aussie dollars(its a pretty big difference)

Cal x

It is $10,000 per each person! Just checked

Guest Pinhead
Dont forget that you can take cash into Oz, not sure of the exact amount you can "legally" take. Im sure that someone will tell you.

We took over $25000 in cash wehn we arrived which was over the limit. We declared it , filled in the money form and all was ok!

I wouldn't recommend carrying that sort of cash around with you.

Getting AUD travellers cheques would be safer.

Guest Graham&kym

Hi, I brought 10,000 UK in cash with me when I came. As long as you are comfortable with carrying the cash, no problems tis end. Max allowed is 10,000 UKP. Hope this helps.

Guest chloew

We've got a Nationwide account as they don't charge for taking money out............when we went for 2 months we just used that. Didn't want to walk around with all that cash

Guest Les & Woz

Hi

May be worth opening a Nationwide Bank Account if you haven't got one already. They don't charge to make withdrawals from any machines abroad and you get the bank exchange rate not the tourist one. You could arrange beforehand if you need to get a large amount out in one go I don't know what the max withdrawal is per day. We took our Nationwide card when we went for a month and it worked fine. If you take travellers cheques you have to pay a commission to change them up. You could take cash but could be risky.

Lesley

Guest thegrahames

Thanks for all the great replies, think we will try and get a nationwide account before we go and I am going to price the travellers cheques.

Thanks

Viks

Archived