How is the IT industry in Adelaide?

ringoranger

Depends more on your market value proposition?

The overall market is very immature, but that does not translate to anything other than a lot of communication skills needed.

Every tom dick and harry claims to be an expert with 20 plus years experience. However when quoting experience I have found they count office junior work or bum on seat time so quickly get filtered out when more detailed testing.

Market is flooded with old Cisco qualifications. This is not I repeat not what the market wants. You need multiply vendor backgrounds or you will become one trick pony.

At my last company several had moved from SA, as there were no opportunities and the big money is in the ACT. After 6 mths to find their feet they were very happy to be out of SA.

Perth, Sydney or Melbourne would be much better options - I'm not saying you couldn't find work in Adelaide but despite the fact SA were offering my OH (then a Network Engineer) sponsorship, the work opportunities were few and far between and that was 5 years ago, things aren't as good now as they were then.

A very broad research tool would be Seek - accepting that a lot of the jobs on there don't exist, how many in Adelaide would you qualify to enquire about compared to other cities? That's something of an answer. Contact recruitment agents, if they are interested even though you're not in the country that's a good sign (my OH and I both had jobs before moving to Perth and my OH had two offers).

Thank you all for your inputs (sustain, sprintman and Lady Rainincorn). It's a bit disheartening that I would not be able to find a lot of options for my line of work in SA. But it is better to hear this now to prepare myself in case my visa gets approved. I do not have a choice to move out of SA in case the market is bad as we are a 190 applicant. I do not want to have issues later on :sad:.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be disheartened. I managed to secure an IT job in Adelaide remotely and I am based in Europe. Though I work in software engineering. The Salary is pretty good too and it is an excellent company. Just keep applying for jobs, I am sure if you get interviews and they like you they will offer you a job!

good luck!