Bushfires Information

LKC

Since it looks like we may have a bad bushfire season this year in NSW, I thought that I would post a link here so that newcomers to Sydney can easily find information about how to prepare for the possibility of fires, where to look for information on current incidents, and also information about the current fire danger ratings and what those mean.

The main website to use is the NSW Rural Fire Service website, which has absolutely loads of information to look at. I would recommend reading and maybe printing out the Bush Fire Survival Plan, the link to which can be seen on the front page of the RFS website. It explains how to know whether you are at risk (bush fires can occur in bush areas, grassland, farm land and so on), how to prepare your property, how to decide whether you will stay and defend your property or leave it and evacuate, and it also explains what the different Fire Danger Ratings mean. There are also spaces at the back for you to complete your own plan, so that each member of your family is aware of what will happen. There is even a small section for children.

The other important things to look at are the Current Fires and Incidents and the Fire Danger Ratings Pages, both of which can be found on the front page of the RFS website. It allows you to see whether there are any fires nearby, and gives advice on what to do if there are fires in the area.

Bush fires are part of life in Australia, you just have to be aware and prepared.

Archived