Cairns or Brisbane ?

Guest asmith15

Guest Dowell Family
Im in Brissie and have been for three years! What u wanna know?

Hi Joanne and Mark

Well - where do I start?! I have a 3 yr old and a 7 yr old so would like to be located quite close to the beach. My OH is a plumber and would probably not want to be too far from Brisbane CBD. Any opinions on suburbs suitable?

Sonia:yes:

Guest ameliaandpeter

Sonia,

Just thought i would say hi as we are heading for brisbane hopefully this year depending on house. My OH also plumber, have 7 & 2 1/2 yr olds. Went out in Jan to activate visa. Has he a job lined up.

Amelia

Guest Dowell Family
Sonia,

Just thought i would say hi as we are heading for brisbane hopefully this year depending on house. My OH also plumber, have 7 & 2 1/2 yr olds. Went out in Jan to activate visa. Has he a job lined up.

Amelia

Hi Amelia,

How alike are we then, right down to the kids ages - almost! How did your oh line up his job? Any hints or tips would be appreciated! Whereabouts in Brisbane have you decided on? Are you going to be taking out much of your stuff or starting afresh?

Sonia

Guest ameliaandpeter

Hi Sonia,

No job lined up at present, want to head to around Caloundra (sunshine coast), it's about 1hr drive was from Brisbane. Been told by locals not to go to far inland as can be very hot with no sea breeze. Came back from there in Jan after activating visas. This again depends on work, as that comes first. Only found this site last week. I did all our tra & visa applications, but looking at this site the processes seam to have changed already. Depending on sale of house (2nd viewing tomorrow) hope to be out in August. Thought it would tie in well with 7yr old schooling. Dithering about taking stuff or starting afresh. I think it will come to down to cost. I don't want to be here for another xmas we are starting to look like Hamleys. OH trying to sell BMW motorbike at present and has threatened if can't get right price that's coming as well.

What stage are you at, when are you thinking of going?

Have you been before?

Do you have to sell?

Is your heart set on Queensland? As we had considered Perth.

Went to a couple of recruitment agencies in Caloundra in Jan and told OH wouldn't have any problems finding work.

I was glad I found this site, as can't really talk about this stuff to family and friends. I think it's a case of if we don't talk about it it's not happening.

Amelia

Guest Dowell Family
Hi Sonia,

No job lined up at present, want to head to around Caloundra (sunshine coast), it's about 1hr drive was from Brisbane. Been told by locals not to go to far inland as can be very hot with no sea breeze. Came back from there in Jan after activating visas. This again depends on work, as that comes first. Only found this site last week. I did all our tra & visa applications, but looking at this site the processes seam to have changed already. Depending on sale of house (2nd viewing tomorrow) hope to be out in August. Thought it would tie in well with 7yr old schooling. Dithering about taking stuff or starting afresh. I think it will come to down to cost. I don't want to be here for another xmas we are starting to look like Hamleys. OH trying to sell BMW motorbike at present and has threatened if can't get right price that's coming as well.

What stage are you at, when are you thinking of going?

Have you been before?

Do you have to sell?

Is your heart set on Queensland? As we had considered Perth.

Went to a couple of recruitment agencies in Caloundra in Jan and told OH wouldn't have any problems finding work.

I was glad I found this site, as can't really talk about this stuff to family and friends. I think it's a case of if we don't talk about it it's not happening.

Amelia

Hi Amelia

Great to hear from you. Top tip regarding not going to far inland!! Lucky thing if you manage to get out this Aug. We are only just finishing off the paperwork side of things. We will then be waiting for a date for oh to do skills test. I am thinking about going out in Mar 09 so that we can activate and reccie at same time. Hopefully it will all be done and dusted for Mar 09!

Good idea re moving during uk summer holidays, that way you wont feel so guilty about giving them 3/4 weeks off to settle and get used to everything before starting anew school!

I reckon i am gonna get rid of everything and start again over there. Just take personals and kids toys/books etc. If you have to live with the bare necessities for a while its n ot the end of the world is it?

We do have to sell and hopefully if all goes well like i say i can activate in mar (if we can do it sooner then i will) and then put the house on the market.

I am absolutely sold on Queensland and cant decide on Brisbane or Gold Coast. Both sound great, it depends on where the work is. What do you think? How are you going to go about getting a rental before you go out there. For some reason this is really playing on my mind - probably as you need to get the area right for schools.

Would love to chat to you some more in the lounge chat room - you will have to come on one evening.

Hope we speak again soon

Sonia:wubclub:

Guest ameliaandpeter

Sonia,

I was told by a couple of real estates that we wouldn't be able arrange from here as we have to view property. Maybe they have to view us? On last visit stayed in aparthotel in Brisbane 9 nights cost £1000, so was thinking of staying more in the suburbs next time for a couple of weeks , as didn't want to arrange 6 month rental if OH can't find work in that area. OH doesn't want loads of travelling to work and I don't blame him. He is already saying his first purchase is a sat nav. Men.

Have you looked on the site ourbrisbane.com?

At present my main worry apart from selling house, is finding out what courses OH will have to do before working in oz. Thought of contacting TRA?

Speak to you soon

Amelia

Guest Dowell Family
Sonia,

I was told by a couple of real estates that we wouldn't be able arrange from here as we have to view property. Maybe they have to view us? On last visit stayed in aparthotel in Brisbane 9 nights cost £1000, so was thinking of staying more in the suburbs next time for a couple of weeks , as didn't want to arrange 6 month rental if OH can't find work in that area. OH doesn't want loads of travelling to work and I don't blame him. He is already saying his first purchase is a sat nav. Men.

Have you looked on the site ourbrisbane.com?

At present my main worry apart from selling house, is finding out what courses OH will have to do before working in oz. Thought of contacting TRA?

Speak to you soon

Amelia

Hi Amelia

Thats quite scarey though isnt it - turning up in Australia without anywhere to stay. How are you supposed to organise anything? come onto the chat room tonight and we will have a proper chat.

Speak soon

Sonia:yes:

Guest Les & Woz

Amelia

Was interested to see you saying you can't talk to family and friends. We have the same problem, they don't like us mentioning it at all. Friends not so bad but like you say they can't give any advice as they all think we are mad for going. So glad I found out about this site from Alison who I met at an information day at Australia House right at the beginning of our application.

Les

Guest ameliaandpeter

Les,

Yes, this is a great site. Wish I had found it when we started, as I completed all TRA and Visas paperwork on my own. When are you hoping to be off and where?

Amelia

Guest asmith15

Hi to everyone whos been kind enough to post a reply re; CAIRNS OR BRISBANE - sorry not posted back for a while but have been ill (the good old british colds !!), i will check out the chat rooms , and we have decided on brisbane and will leave cairns as a holiday destination for now, hope i don,t use the same holiday agent as deb did !! now the dilema is where in brisbane !! i must have viewed every house on domain and realestate.com - its gonna take some time to drive round and pick out an area but i think i will get some tips from the amount of people asking about brisbane on PIO - thanks again

Guest YellowGecko

Brisbane or Cairns?

I would say Brisbane everytime.

But only because the humidity and sheer extreme heat in summer in Cairns during the summer months is totally unbearable.

You will need a clothes dryer in Cairns, because you will not get your wet clothes dry on the line in Cairns during summer. They will simply stay wet for days. And you may need to air them from a cupboard regularly because they will grow mould easily once put away.

Don't mean to scare you but Cairns is a very humid/sticky place and I would easily choose Brisbane over it any day of the year!!!

Also...too many people realise how remote Cairns is from the rest of Queensland.

It is just as far to Cairns from Brisbane as it is to the most southern part of Australia's mainland. For example it is over 2000 kilometres to Melbourne...right...and it is just as far to Cairns!!!

Choose Brisbane...much nicer weather and much nicer in general.

I'd say if you lived in Cairns for 12 months, you'd end up in Brisbane soon after anyhow.

Hope this helps.

Guest asmith15
hi just joined and in same boat as u!!!!! cant decide on Brisbane or Melbourne. Got 2 kids age 16 and 8 so very similar to yorself and husband an engineer, he has job offers and sponsorship and i am terrified and lost!!!!!!!!!!!need support if u would be willing. thanks

Hi Clare, its nice when you meet people like yourself with things in common, its great that your husband has sponsorship & job offers, i will gladly give support if you feel its needed as i know how you feel - its daunting, exciting, nerve racking all rapped up 2gether with fear incase its not the right move. I worry for my 16yr old (17 in July) as she is stopping behind with my mum to do another year at college, although she will have to come out to get her passport stamped in between. isabella my 8yr old is looking forward to it though so i try to keep positive for her but i do worry at times, on the other hand my partner Lee has no job to go to but is'nt worried in the slightest so i think with your hubby having a job to go to will be a bit more security. Have you decided on areas yet, i havnt looked at Melbourne but can say Brisbane sounds nice, lots of nice houses for sale but they do seem expensive compared to Cairns - maybe you need to compare houses in both areas to see which place is more affordable, keep in touch and let me know what you decide or even just to have a chat.:chatterbox:

Guest asmith15
Brisbane or Cairns?

But only because the humidity and sheer extreme het in summer in Cairns during the summer months is totally un-bearable.

You will need a clothes dryer in Cairns, because you will not get your wet clothes dry on the line in Cairns during summer. They will simply stay wet for days. And you may need to air them from a cupboard regularly because they will grow mould easily once put away.

Don't mean to scare you but Cairns is a very humid/sticky place and i would easily choose Brisbane over it anyday of the year!!!

Also...ot many people realise how remote Cairns is from the rest of Queensland.

It is just as far to Cairns from Brisban as it is to the most southern part of Australia's mainland. For example it is over 2000 kilometres to Melbourne...right...and it is just as far to Cairns!!!

I'd say if you lived in Cairns for 12 months, you'd end up in Brisbane soon after anyhow.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that - youve deffo made my mind up !!

Guest Les & Woz
Brisbane or Cairns?

But only because the humidity and sheer extreme heat in summer in Cairns during the summer months is totally unbearable.

Don't mean to scare you but Cairns is a very humid/sticky place and I would easily choose Brisbane over it any day of the year!!!

Also...too many people realise how remote Cairns is from the rest of Queensland.

It is just as far to Cairns from Brisbane as it is to the most southern part of Australia's mainland. For example it is over 2000 kilometres to Melbourne...right...and it is just as far to Cairns!!!

Hope this helps.

Hi

I agree ! My reasons are not because of the mouldy clothes, etc. I just think Brissie is a lovely place and is near to so much more.

Les:v_SPIN:

Guest TESSASTEVEN

:biglaugh:Hiya

I live on the Sunshine Coast , and SE Qld is going through an explosive growth phase at the moment. In my opinion the weather further North is too humid, there are stingers so you cant swim alot of the year in the surf and there are CROCODILES!!! Stay Brissie area for sure.

There is a great website that have DVDs and you can see visually what the area is like, livingdownunder may help you

mod edit, please refain from further advertising within the body of your posts.. Your sig says it all.Thank you

Good luck

Sorry to disagree with most of the posts here about Cairns.

FNQ seems to be getting a lot of bad press.

Yes it's humid and very sticky in the summer but you do acclimatise to this.

On the plus side of this though, everything is beautiful and green and lush because of the rain.

There are no water restrictions. You can shower for as long as you like. You can fill up the pool. You can wash the car if you want to.

Contrary to the last post, you can swim in the sea all year round. They put out stinger nets to enable you to do this. Stingers are also seasonal and don't inhabit the waters all year round.

Yes there are crocs around here but they're not waiting on every beach to attack you. Though saying that they did fish out a 3m croc out of a stinger net at Trinity Beach yesterday :)

I'm very very happy in FNQ. I personally wouldn't want to live anywhere else at this moment in time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is It's horses for courses. Everyone has different opinions. Different things make people happy. What suits one person, wouldn't suit another.

I would say, try and spend time in Cairns and Brisbane. Then you will be more able to make an opinion on what suits you.

Regards

Debs x x

Archived