Sponsoring other family members

rachaellmarsden

Hi - just wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge about moving out other family relatives?

We have hit a brick wall with our move down under because of leaving behind father-in-law. We were hoping we could sponsor him to move out with us but it appears this is not straightforward - so we need some advice.

He is financially independent and would be able to maintain this if he moved to Oz - so we cannot claim he depends on us.

He is early 80's and his brother has lived in Adelaide for almost 60 years - so he has family out there.

The problem we have is that he has three other children (+ offspring) - the argument is that he has more children in the UK than he would have in Oz (if we moved there); therefore in terms of care and balance our sponsorship would be refused.

However, he rarely sees these other children - we see him every week and live about 5 minutes drive away from him; he also supports us with childcare for our daughter on a weekly basis. His other children would not be in a position to care for him if his health deteriorated - that would fall on us without question. In short - he is dependent on us and his other children are not part of the equation.

Does anyone know a way we can get him out to OZ with us?

HELP?!?

Thanks Rach

you seem to be pretty aware of the Balance of Family requirement, & there's no way around that I'm afraid. I think you will need to think seriously if he is so dependent on you whether that will affect your decision to actually go ahead with the move. The other children are of course very much part of the equation as far as DIBP are concerned.

have you sorted your own visa yet? He would of course be able to do the regular 3 month visitor visas, though how often you'd want him to be doing that in his 80's is questionable! ( & childcare at that age? :swoon: he has my admiration- hope I'm getting a rest from it by then! )

No, he is not going to be able to get a parent visa and people from the UK cannot bring parents as dependents anyway because of the welfare state. He is only going to be able to visit, unless he has vast amounts of money and can get an investor visa of some type. Otherwise it is tourist visa only for him. Leaving family is the biggest thing that needs to be weighed up in any decision to migrate.

Archived