First time renting - advice needed

Guest dftl

Hi people,

I am a first time renter and just paid my bond + first month's rent. Lease signing will be done soon. I need some advice. I have read that I should take timestamped pictures of the property when I move in and keep them as evidence. Now this may seem very stupid, but I want to know a good camera model which timestamps the pictures. I am not a big photography enthusiast - my only camera goes unused most of the time and doesn't have the feature. Any pointers on a good cheap camera that I can buy would be much appreciated. Any other tips/tricks/words of wisdom are also welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my message.

yep don't bother with date/time stamps on the image itself, if its a digital camera the date and time it was taken will be embedded in the 'properties' of the picture itself (as long as you have the right date and time set up in the first place!) so you can produce that if you need to. Alternatively just take the pictures and then email them to yourself on the day/the day after, you'll have a date record that way.

If a film camera, maybe try taking pictures with the front page of that days newspaper in each shot?

As for which photos to take, a couple of general room shots to get an idea of the general condition for each room, with separate close-ups of any damage is all you'll need. Don't worry too much - 'fair wear and tear' is expected during a tenancy and most landlords are pretty good about it.

More important than the pics is a written record of any breakages/damage when you moved in. If you give the REA a copy of a list, then make photos too, then they'll never try to claim that you caused the damages during your tenancy. The vast majority of LLs and REAs aren't trying to rip you off.

If a film camera, maybe try taking pictures with the front page of that days newspaper in each shot?

That was my first thought too. Unfortunately, it doesn't work in this case, because you could just use an older newspaper.

Emailing them to yourself is a good option though. The original sending date will be in the email headers.

Take pictures of any damage/ marks /stains, straight away and get the agent to sign and date the back of the picture when you return your Entry inspection form. The entry form is more important and you must write down every tiny little thing you see, from marks on walls and garage walls, to weeds in the garden.

Cal x

Archived