Transferring Pension to Aus Super

I was just wondering what type of things I need to be considering when deciding if it's worth me transferring my UK pension over to my Australian Super fund. I initially thought that it'd be better to transfer the pension, but the more I read the more differing opinions I see.

Is it as simple of weighing up the costs involved in transferring the pension against the expected gains between now an retirement?

There's also the issue of what happens if you decide at some point that you aren't going to grow old in Aus and want to move on - your super stays there and can't be transferred back. If you have a final salary pension it might also be a riskier proposition.

I was just wondering what type of things I need to be considering when deciding if it's worth me transferring my UK pension over to my Australian Super fund. I initially thought that it'd be better to transfer the pension, but the more I read the more differing opinions I see.

Is it as simple of weighing up the costs involved in transferring the pension against the expected gains between now an retirement?

Hi Stephen

Firstly have a look here http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/financial-advice-ask-vista/169401-uk-pension-transfers-information-thread.html this should provide some background.

Certainly not just a case of weighing up the costs there is a lot more too it than that.

The type of pension is important whether it is a defined benefit scheme or a defined contribution pension.

There are also quite a few other factors involved as there are differences between the UK system and Australian system for example:

• the age at which you might be able to access the benefits;

• the way in which you are able to access the benefits;

• the taxation treatment of the benefits;

• the way Centrelink will assess the benefits when in receipt for the purposes of Australian Age Pension;

• the way that the fund/income is treated upon death both pre and post retirement;

• the way HMRC may charge unauthorised payment charges on withdrawals within certain timescales if the fund is transferred to Australia.

These are just a some of the more prominent factors but hopefully gives some idea.

Regards

Andy