Just after some general advice

JMcW89

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and after some advice if emigrating to oz. Me and my girlfriend are hoping to move to sydney in about 12 months time. I am currently studying for a degree in software development and my girlfriend had recently graduated as a nurse. I have had a look on some websites and it appears she would need 2 years experience to get a nursing job in oz. Is that correct? I am happy to get a working visa and do 3 month rural work to secure my second year which should give me time to find a job. We want to get out there as soon as possible really so any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

I do not know about finding jobs as a nurse, but for sure she would be the better candidate for main applicant than you would be. I don't think that software development is seeing such shortages that anyone would need to sponsor a new graduate and with the work limitations on WHV holders, you might not do your career plans any favours.

I would recommend you finish your degrees she gets a little bit of experience and then you can apply on her skills and be in a much better position. If it takes 18 or 24 months instead of 12, it sounds well worth it to me.

Thanks for the response guys. I am doing my degree with the Open University while in employment. I have atleast 3 years left doing my degree as it is partt - time. I have checked with the Open University and they advised you can continue study abroad.

Yea I agree to emmigrate under her skills as nurses are in high demand (or so I keep reading). I have checked the SOL list and Software Development is a required job spec. But again, much easier to get in as a de-facto partner.

I am hoping to head out the in 2014 to assess where we would like to live. I have doen a bit of travelling round oz in the past but I think you look at it in a different way when you are considering living there as aposed to travelling.

Any recoomendation on the best places to live in OZ?

The best place to live is the one where you are most likely to find work. Your OH will ave more flexibility than you so focus upon job prospects for you. Other than tat, there is no such thing as "best place to live", people are living happily all over.

Archived