Families in Yeppoon/Rockhampton?

VickieP

I am currently living just south of Brisbane with my family and teaching at a local school. We moved from NZ 4 years ago and I thought we settled in well, but my hubby really hates it here and has recently been offered a work opportunity in Rockhampton.

It is another big move for the kids (7 and 9) so really needing to think this one out. Would probably head to Yeppoon to live. Can anyone help me with any info preferably on:

- Sporting groups/activities for the kids

- The amount of shops (what is there)

- What there is to do as a family

- Quality of schools

- Commute to Rockhampton

- Flooding, cyclone possibilities

- Easiness to meet people

Thank you for any help. Vickie

Hi, we live just south of Rocky, just outside Gladstone but visit Rocky quite abit. Firstly why don't you like Brisbane? Just so I can see if those reasons will be the same once moved to Rocky..I can help you compare. Rocky is a lot different to Brisbane, it's a regional city and that itself poses challenges. Saying that, we love living regional and Rocky and surrounding areas has a lot to offer families and lots to do and see in that area.

There is a free zoo which is going to be upgraded soon so even better, and large Botanical Gardens, and large family park to go to with BBQs and monorail for the kids to play on. Theirs Byfield forest with great camping sites, a great place to spend the weekend. ZLots of Islands to visit being on the Great Barrier Reef. Rocky has a good shopping Centre, nothing like Brissy but it does ok. Plenty of places to eat out at. Nice beaches nearby.

I personally am not all that keen on Yeppoon but emu Park and further along there are nice suburbs to live. I can't help too much on this as we don't live there, just driven round many times. No know

edge on schools either sorry but I do know they have a fairly wide choice to choose from.

Hope this has help a little, good luck.

Thank you Eng32. It really isn't my choice to move from Brisbane, we just have to for my husbands work. I understand that the 2 places are really incomparable when it comes to major facilities. I m just curious though as to why you don't like Yeppoon so much?

Mmnnn Just didn't like the look of the place much, there are better areas very close that have nicer houses, looked nicer, fresher, cleaner, that's all. . Just my two pence worth though, and my preference. You might like it.

You can get most of the things you need in Rockhampton so I would worry too much, I t has a big hospital. Just a short flight to Brisbane if you need a trip back.

Looking at your other questions, it's about 45 mins drive from Yeppoon to Rocky. We did have flooding last January when it poured hard for 4 days non stop, parts of Rocky were under water and cut off as was the Gladstone and surrounding Areas but on the whole although you have to be prepared and keep updated with the weather changes it's not really a problem. It is ALOT hotter all year round up here though than Brissy so hope you like the heat but should get a nice sea breeze if living on the coast.

We moved to yeppoon from uk at the beginning of the year. Very different from what we are used to but kids (9 and 5) love it. It's quite a bit cooler than rocky and the beaches are lovely. I work in rocky and takes about 40 mins. Worth the drive for the sea breezes. If u have any specific questions feel free to ask. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
We moved to yeppoon from uk at the beginning of the year. Very different from what we are used to but kids (9 and 5) love it. It's quite a bit cooler than rocky and the beaches are lovely. I work in rocky and takes about 40 mins. Worth the drive for the sea breezes. If u have any specific questions feel free to ask. Good luck

Hi, moving over to Rockhampton in January and wondered if your ad any tips as you all seen well informed. Do you have any advice you can share? Really excited and enthusiastic and hope that will help with settling in. Hope you can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been in Rocky for almost 2 years now. Personally I think it's lovely, although did take some time to get used to as I'm a city girl (from Manchester) and it's quiet and laid back here. There is plenty to do with the kids as mentioned by others, plus the rockpool, outdoor pool, a wide rage of park areas, a indoor play area, after school clubs (dancing, guides etc) and so on. There is a Stockland shopping centre and a centre with a Target store and other smaller chain stores. We have the usual Masters, Bunnings, BiG W, K Mart etc and a good number of Coles and Woolworths and a whole road dedicated to fast food places!! We don't have Krispy Kreme!!!!! I believe though that it is more expensive to live here than in Brisbane. I can't help you with schools though, sorry. Would you be able to visit for a weekend maybe and see what there is to offer in Yeppoon, Rocky, Gracemere or Gladstone?

Archived