189 visa - delaying processing time

Janeydv

Hi guys,

I know this is going to sound crazy and i can't believe i'm actually asking this question but i'm wanting to know what is the maximum time i have before they issue a visa. Let me explain further.

I applied for my 189 visa and paid a couple of days ago, however, my other half has since been offered a promotion at work which would benefit us here but also benefit us greatly when we get to Australia. I hate to say it but it would be better for us if we could stay here for as long as we could reasonably stretch it out so that my other half could get the experience in the job that he needs for Oz.

My visa is now saying that i need to upload documents and obviously i am in the queue for a case officer. Is there a maximum time limit from being allocated a case officer to completing the upload, medicals and police checks? I am aware that once (if) we are granted a visa then we have a year to activate it but i can't seem to find any information on how long they give applicants to complete the process before the visa is issued or denied.

I know it sounds mad but this opportunity would really set us up over there and i daren't pull my application in case we are never offered another invite. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance :)

You have 12 months from earliest date of medicals or police checks to make first entry to Australia to Validate your visa. This can be done by moving or by short holiday, if in a really hurry you can enter Australia for through immigration and fly home the next day.

A 189 visa is valid for 5 years from date of grant, therefore you have up to 5 years to make the move to Australia, as long as you validate your visa within the date specified when visa is granted.

I also think you have 60 days to get everything uploaded from the date of invitation. I don't know if that's calendar days or working days.

You would need your PCC and meds uploaded by then unless you can prove some mitigating circumstances. We were allowed extra time to sort the meds as we had to fit them in around school term dates but I can't see any way you could justifiably delay the PCC. I think the fact our PCC was already uploaded meant we had an 'earliest' piece of documentation to date the visa from so it didn't matter too much.

Like Lebourvellec says though, you have 5 years to make the final move as long as you have validated in the first year.

I also think you have 60 days to get everything uploaded from the date of invitation. I don't know if that's calendar days or working days.

You would need your PCC and meds uploaded by then unless you can prove some mitigating circumstances. We were allowed extra time to sort the meds as we had to fit them in around school term dates but I can't see any way you could justifiably delay the PCC. I think the fact our PCC was already uploaded meant we had an 'earliest' piece of documentation to date the visa from so it didn't matter too much.

Like Lebourvellec says though, you have 5 years to make the final move as long as you have validated in the first year.

60 days to lodge application after invitation - but 28 days to upload documents once applied (unless this has changed?)

Once CO contacts you - 28 days to arrange medicals and police checks - if not completed in the 28 days, as long as you can prove the have been booked or police check sent for extra time will be given. My Australian Police Check came back day after 28 days, so uploaded copy of post office receipt and bank draft to prove that it had been sent for.

Thanks for the replies, they are really helpful! Do all applicants named on the visa have to go over to validate it or just the main applicant?

Also after reading other posts i got the impression that it's better not to organize medicals until a case officer tells you to. Is this not the case? i don't want to miss the deadline and it looks as though a case officer can take upto 2 months to be allocated.

x

Thanks for the replies, they are really helpful! Do all applicants named on the visa have to go over to validate it or just the main applicant?

Also after reading other posts i got the impression that it's better not to organize medicals until a case officer tells you to. Is this not the case? i don't want to miss the deadline and it looks as though a case officer can take upto 2 months to be allocated.

x

Yes all applicants require to validate their visas.

Personally I think it is best to wait until a CO contacts you and requests medicals and police checks - least you have your CO details to contact them if there are any delays, and you know that your application is being processed. There are so many threads from people stating that they still have not been contacted by a CO when they have front loaded medicals and police checks. CO will only contact you when they need something.

As you are in no hurry - wait until you get a CO - generally you can get a date for medical within week or 2. Police Checks in the standard service for ACRO take around 14 days max.

60 days to lodge application after invitation - but 28 days to upload documents once applied (unless this has changed?)

Once CO contacts you - 28 days to arrange medicals and police checks - if not completed in the 28 days, as long as you can prove the have been booked or police check sent for extra time will be given. My Australian Police Check came back day after 28 days, so uploaded copy of post office receipt and bank draft to prove that it had been sent for.

Ah yeah, I knew there was a 60 day time limit in the process somewhere, the old grey matter is more like a sieve than a sponge these days!! I did say 'I think' though!! Lol